how do you get a laptop pc to feed digital out into dts receiver?

Myhamish

Stumped on this one. I want to use my laptop so I can get it close to the receiver and have the tunes digitally go into the receiver (Denon 1708).

Here's what I've tried so far - Music Match or Windows Media Player, the pc headphone output switched to digital out and a mini plug (1/8") running into the coaxial input on the receiver by using a mini to rca adapter. The receiver coaxial input has been working fine with the coaxial digital output signal from a CD player, so that end seems to be working.

What I want to do if and when I get this going, is play the digital stereo signal into the receiver and use the neural surround processor. I've been using this setup as mentioned from the CD player to the receiver and have had some pretty amazing results with the neural setting.

Any tips are appreciated and I'll also tip a dram in your honour. Slainte. Hamish

Are all your optical inputs used? If not, a $ 30 U.S. outboard soundcard and optical cable will accomplish what you want.

I have used this unit:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540

Note: since you are in Canada like me, they charge shipping and there are import fees as well. The unit does work well, low distortion as well as good frequency response.

I use a regular USB extension cable ( mine is powered, 16 feet long ) to keep the laptop near me, instead of getting up all the time.

Hi Mike, I've seen you up on the board here for a long time. And every now and then I get to see Nipigon from 37,000 feet.

The receiver has unused optical inputs, so is this how it would go? Hook the optical cable from the receiver optical in back to the Behringer soundcard, the usb from the soundcard back to the laptop and then set the receiver input for optical? Are the laptop soundcard ouputs changed for this or can they remain for speakers/headset?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Slainte. Hamish

You are correct about the hookup. Optical from soundcard and receiver, then the USB into an open port on your laptop.

When you plug in the USB soundcard, it automatically mutes the speakers in the laptop. I am pretty sure that the headphone output will be muted as well. ( in the laptop )

There is however, a set of RCA outputs on the USB soundcard as well as a headphone jack, I do know you can use the RCA outputs on the Behringer at the same time as the optical. I can test if you can use the headphone jack as well at the same time if you would like to know that.

Actually, if you want to 'try' before you buy to make sure it will work for your application, I could throw it in a padded envelope and ship it off to you with an optical cable, however I would need it returned within a few weeks.

Since it's a laptop here's what I would do (already did)...

Pick up an Apple Airport Express wireless router (wether or not you are going to use it for wireless internet does not matter). You can find great deals on them used. Plug it in near your receiver. Connect it to your receiver via mini optical adapter to optical cable into your receiver (Airport Express has an mini optical out). Now use iTunes to play your music wirelessly from the laptop through the Airport Express to the receiver.

I play everything in Apple Lossless and it stays 100% digital and unchanged all the way to the receiver. Sounds awesome and is super convenient.

This one doesn't have a HDMI on it (although the pdf manual shows one with an HDMI out - must be a higher model.

I've been in touch with Mike Hurd and I'm going to try out the Behringer interface. Hopefully, it will do dts and dolby digital audio because I've got some dts audio CDs.

Thanks all for your replys. And Germikan - I've heard that the beer might be pretty good in your part of the world.

Slainte. Hamish