Forte passive radiator replacement...

chuckears

My 20-year old Klipsch Fortes are still going strong; I am wondering if the passive radiators are due for replacement... when I press in on them, they stick a little bit when going back into place about a half inch from a resting position.

I know Klipsch no longer provides replacement for these, and am curious as to whether or not these fairly inexpensive Daytons would fit the bill:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-496&source=googleps

My 20-year old Klipsch Fortes are still going strong; I am wondering if the passive radiators are due for replacement... when I press in on them, they stick a little bit when going back into place about a half inch from a resting position.

I know Klipsch no longer provides replacement for these, and am curious as to whether or not these fairly inexpensive Daytons would fit the bill:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-496&source=googleps

Chuck,

Are you sure that Klipsch no longer has any left?? My sister had to buy a replacement for one of my old Quartets that her 3 year old poked holes in. It was only about a year ago that she bought it from Klipsch. If the regular tech guy says no, might be worth trying to ask Hunter, I'll bet he would know if any are still laying arround.

Roger

"hey stick a little bit when going back into place "

Is the rubber stiff?

I would wager that the spider is the problem. Put some acetone on the spider, let is soak a bit, add some more, then move the cone back and forth to loosen it up. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.

"am curious as to whether or not these fairly inexpensive Daytons would fit the bill:"

Outside diameter will not fit the cutout in the Forte, and you would have to add mass.