Interesting custom Cornwall

Aufwuchs

I picked up this custom cabinet this week that contains Cornwall guts. Interestingly, the tweeter is mounted horizontally, but the mid horn is vertical. Didn't take a picture of the inside before storing it away in the closet, but I thought you guys would be interested in seeing it. I have never seen a non-factory built cornwall before. I am hoping to use it as a TV stand/center channel between my 2 1975 Cornwalls whenever I have time for some serious furniture rearrangement. It came with a second cabinet, obviously built later and cheaper, but it only contained a single University 312 driver.

One question, how will the vertical mid horn affect my usage as a center channel?

post-22241-13819511844802_thumb.jpg

...how will the vertical mid horn affect my usage as a center channel?...

The polar response of the midrange horn is controlled to a lower frequency in one dimension vs. the other, due to the linear dimension of the horn mouth (the exit plane of the horn) being bigger in one dimension than the other.

If you turn the horn sidways (as in your unit), the frequencies where the mid horn begins to lose pattern control (i.e., begins to broadcast its energy in a 180 degree pattern) at some frequency (probably around 2-3 KHz, down to its crossover frequency with the woofer) and will spread the mid-frequencies around the room more in that direction, thus sounding louder in those frequencies to the human ear, but instead of broadcasting it on the floor and the ceiling, it will be broadcast on the side walls and any furniture that happens to be in the way.

Whether or not this is better or worse is a function of preference, the geometry of the placement of absorption and diffraction material in the room , and your EQ settings for the speaker.

Chris

Your new speaker looks like it'll be an excellent centre channel/TV stand! Just be sure its legs will stand the weight of whatever TV you put on top of it.

As for the horn's orientation, in actual practice, it may not be all that noticeable one way or the other. Until I got a Belle for that purpose a week ago, I used a Heresy II in a horizontal position under the TV (in a stand, not supporting the TV) for a couple of years and it sounded just fine.

Good to hear that the horizontal orientation sounded fine it your setup. Thanks for the input! The speaker itself is very solidly constructed, including the legs. I will admit to having taken a seat on it myself, resting from moving it. No ill effects on the speaker, and I weigh a bit more than the TV.