Speaker mounting on wall

dsommerl

My plan is to mount a pair of Academy centers spkrs--caninets vertical on a back wall for use as my two "back channel" surround speakers in a 7.1 set up.

They will need to be about 6 feet off the floor and again on the wall.

Omni MOunt has a wall mount bracket they suggest for this weight speaker (they spec it for the KLF C7 center)

My concern is the load that will be put on the back panel of the spkr cab over time---and the speaker's structural integrity to stand up over time---gravity-----my plan is to screw the "foot" plate of the mount directly into the back panel ----'

Am looking for any input on the best wall mount technique for this weight speaker (it's about 33 lbs)---techniques--do's--don'ts etc---experience with the Omni Mount product/s---maybe a better way to do this etc etc.

Tks all---Dave

Dave, their is a shelf mechanism available at Home Depot that exactly solves the problem of mounting an Academy on the back wall. The included shelf area is 24" wide and 12" deep which is just about perfect for mounting an Academy.

I have used three such shelves for holding rear and surround speakers with no problems. Of course, I am also the only one I know who mounted a 100+ pounds of KLF-30 as a center speaker on my 65" Mitsubishi... but I do make some risk assessment calculations.

The secret to success for these "minimalist" shelves is that they have an aluminum bracket into which the finished shelf slides and is held with a retaining screw. The bracket is only two inches tall and has only a two inch lip to support the shelf on the bottom and a half inch lip to snugly fit against the top of the shelf. Thus, the snug fit of the channel which holds the shelf is the secret to the strength of the unit... which really must be seen to be believed.

Of course, I attached the aluminum strip through the sheetrock and into the wall studs with longer than the supplied screws as an extra precaution for the effects of gravity over the long haul. They seem to be just as solid now as they were over a year ago when they were installed.

I don't remember the name, but the next time I am in the "regular" Home Depot I'll take a look. We have an extra advantage in my community because we have two Home Depots on the same street about a half-a-mile apart. Home Depot built a regular size (for them) building and it was so swamped with business that they built a second one that's over twice as large... and let the original building sit empty.

When professionals complain about the difficulty of getting in and out of the crowded super Home Depot... the company took note and re-opened the original store as Home Depot Pro... they don't have all the consumer type things (like the shelves) or quite as many folks to explain rudimentary construction principles... and the prices are the same... but what a convenience to shop in a pro environment store for busy people that prefer speedy check-outs to elementary hand holding. By the way, they do have an upscale group of people to answer a pro's questions.

If need be, I will post a photo of the shelf detail. Hope this helps.cwm16.gif HornEd

HE

Your "on it" as usual my friend---thanks

I'm one of those impatient types that hates to walk into H Depot or anywhere else without knowing exactly what I am looking for---so, if there's anyway to post a picture that would ID it for me well enough---I could just print it and head on down to the local HD

While I"m at it---I ordered a second SVS (the Home Theater Spot---has a "group buy" on them---expires on March 7--tomorrow--they knock 15% off the retail from SVS---(but you have to buy a $25 paid membership on the spot to get in on the deal---this netted the SVS 2039 + at $555 delivered to ST. Louis--vs $599 plus UPS

So one saves about $80---every little bit helps.

Bring this up only because I am still intrigued by your fabricated "tower of SVS power" contraption you mentioned elsewhere-----maybe snap a pic of that too and post it.

TKs much Dave

Okay, Dave, here's a "quick & dirty" composite on the shelf. I should have used a tripod and focused better but you sounded hot to trot!

The shelf & hardware are sold as one unit... and is very quick and easy to install. The only delay is painting... as you can see... I couldn't wait either! Obviously, you could use them with a wide variety of fasteners... but I prefer 3" screws that fit the countersunk holes in the slot screwed directly into the center of a stud... and the holes are spaced for that purpose.

Actually, when you start computing the physics... this is a neat design in more ways than one. Hope this helps. cwm34.gif bring a smile in your day. HornEd

Dave - I think you are wise to use a shelf to mount an Academy rather than putting the stress on the cabinet itself. One of the Klipsch folks told me that many of the speaker cabinets are not designed to support their own weight (except those specifically designed for wall mounting, like the SS-1, etc...). I used a shelf to hang a Forte rather than just putting eye hooks through the cabinet and hanging it on chains or cable.

Doug

------------------

My System

Well said, Doug!

Wish I had said that. Speaker cabinets has a tendency to "go with the flow... to and fro"... that's why they need solid support be it a designated shelf or a friendly, just-the-right-height piece of furniture. The lines of force of the stress of hanging conflicts with the molecular jive from the woofers in particular.

I even lay down a piece of Dynamat to reduce the jiggles between speaker and shelf.

Thanks dug for helping us get past our "hang-ups"...

HornEd

As always---Klipschters to the rescue----great advice

I was concerned about the integrity of the speaker cab with that kind of long term stress---so a shelf system it is----got the picture--thanks!

My only challenge now is to figure how to tilt--aim each one downward toward my ears as they will need to be about 5-7 feet off the floor---but I'll rig something up to get that done----

Thanks guys!

Dave

Oops, Dave, I started to mention that. I put Dynamat down to isolate the speaker and also resist the tendency to creep when it is at an angle. I use a laser pointer taped to the speaker and then raise up the rear until the laser hits my target white cardboard "head" in the center of the sweet spot. I then cut a 6" piece of scrap wood, attach a strip of self-adhesive Dynamat to the top and bottom and... Voila, the speaker stays aimed. If you are using two speakers on the back wall for 7.1, I have found better results by aiming them up & down but leaving then fairly straight ahead right to left to enhance the effect.

I also find that I prefer direct radiating side-surrounds rather than diffuse front and rear firing boxes for 6.1 or 7.1 for a clearer rear sound stage.

Dave, I have included the before and after subwoofer tower photo you asked for.

Hope that helps some more! HornEd

PS: A visitor after seeing how well the shelves worked bought a pair and substituted an exact size walnut veneered shelf board for his walnut Academy. The width of the board is critical for maximum strength.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-06-2002 at 04:47 PM

Yes, for the present, Monty. I have never had an Academy to play with, so here is my chance.

Since the "Two Channel Cornwall" room has been invaded by a pair of K-horns and a front center Belle, making the Cornwalls rear-surrounds... the Academy will fill the rear center gap. It should arrive today.

I have been fortunate to hook up with my wine country neighbor mdeneen to explore two channel and up tubular mixes. It is the start of another great (IMHO) audio adventure.

cwm35.gif HornEd

HE

Tks for the added clarification---and the "SVS tower of power" photo

That is quite a "rig" I see-----is that a coffee table in the foregroud or a stage! (maybe you've got a high powered Karaoke in the rig) :^)

Have you licensed that "tower of power" contraption to Ron and Tom yet?---Need an agent?

As always---thanks alot

Dave