RSW-15 for HT application as well as 2CH?

Rudy81

Well, it seems you guys were right about two things. The RSW is fantastic for music. The SVS is fantastic for very low movie sounds. I want the best of both worlds! I tested one sub against the other and found that the SVS is much more powerful with movie sound effects. The question, is how do I use both subs without having one sub fight the other. There must be some solution besides turning one on for movies and one on for music. I like the auto-on feature. Ideas????

One option if you would like to use both subs but one at a time, one for music and one for home theater would be to connect them with a remote controlled RCA input switch.

If you have a good remote you could even make the subs switch automatically with the remotes macros.

One option if you would like to use both subs but one at a time, one for music and one for home theater would be to connect them with a remote controlled RCA input switch.

If you have a good remote you could even make the subs switch automatically with the remotes macros.

That's the ticket! I'll look for one next. This would be the best solution for my needs since I use the sub for 2.1 channel and movies. Thank you.

I had an old RCA manual switch lying around that worked well for this application. I did quite a bit of testing with the subs to find the optimum location. It was no fun moving that RSW around.

I found the room corners to be best in terms of relatively flat performance and good amount of room reinforcement relative to other locations. I now have the RSW in one corner, and the SVS in the opposite corner. I think this is going to work well. One sub for movies, one sub for music. Not the ideal situation, and rather more expensive than I had anticipated.

I am very happy with both subs and their respective performance with each media.

Just a quick update of my comparrison impressions for the next poor guy who does this. Now that the RSW and SVS are in ideal corners in the room, I went back and compared 'audible' performance with movies and sound effects. The RSW has compared MUCH better now that it is corner loaded. The SVS still has a little more Oomph, but the RSW is not nearly as bad as I had first noticed with the subs in the middle of the room next to my center channel. I found optimum placement by moving them around and running 15Hz-200Hz frequency sweeps in my REW program. I have the SVS in one front corner, and the RSW in the other front corner.

For the time being I will keep comparing, but I am much happier with the RSW for movies. Placement seems to make a big difference with the RSW more so than the SVS.

The RSW still has more finesse and detail with music.

I never owned an SVS (heard a few) but I've had a couple RSW12s and now a cherry RSW15. You are certainly correct about placement. It makes a HUGE difference when the sub is in the corner. Even placement within the corner makes a difference. I have built-in cabinets with doors on the right wall and I have my passive about a foot from the door. Having that hollow cabinet behind the door seems to improve the rumble factor.

I rarely use the sub with music since I have Cornwalls in that room but every once in a while it's fun to throw on DSOTM and let 'er rip. You can feel the music "Breathe" standing on the driveway outside my house.[:D]

I never owned an SVS (heard a few) but I've had a couple RSW12s and now a cherry RSW15. You are certainly correct about placement. It makes a HUGE difference when the sub is in the corner. Even placement within the corner makes a difference. I have built-in cabinets with doors on the right wall and I have my passive about a foot from the door. Having that hollow cabinet behind the door seems to improve the rumble factor.

I rarely use the sub with music since I have Cornwalls in that room but every once in a while it's fun to throw on DSOTM and let 'er rip. You can feel the music "Breathe" standing on the driveway outside my house.Big Smile

That's funny, I have been using DSOTM to test the RSW vs. the SVS and a few other heavy bass disks. I also happen to have the subs between the front wall and the false wall of my Khorns. Plenty of rumble and very deep bass. My HT is on a second floor, and the floor just shakes with any deep bass material for movies. Gotta love it.

You are correct, in my limited testing, the corner placement makes a huge difference with the RSW.