Rf3II decision

ellisfsu

i have found myself in a very perplexing quandary. I currently have a set of new RF3II's in which one of the subs in one of the speakers is bent (wrinkled). Both speakes sound fine. Here is my quandary: through a series of crazy events, i am being offered to swap the bent rf3II's for a set of new, unbent rf3's. should i do this? is the damaged sub in the rf3II's more of a cosmetic problem than anything? Does the internal "monster" wiring really add to the sonic bliss? thanks for any advice.

Keep the Mk II's It's way easier to change a woofer than to change the wire. Grill is improved as well, as is the acoustic foam material and packaging. The bent woofer will let you know if it is a problem. If you bought new from an authorized dealer, you have a 5 year warranty if anything goes wrong. Think about the motives of the person willing to trade.

You will have to ask Klipsch but you should be able to get klipsch to put a new cone on your woofer. If not I have replaced two dented woofers and they were only $70 each at the time. I then smoothed out the dents by taking them out of the speaker and playing with the dents from both sides of the cone. I built two RB-5 sized speakers for my workshop and they sound great. Just my two cents.

JT

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!

As BobG said...

"Think about the motives of the person willing to trade."

As they may be EVIL!

LOL

No really,why do they want to trade?Hmmm the RF3 is almost identical(drivers that is),keep tour RF-3II and just try to get a replacement woofer for the speaker.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the input...these boards rock. just to clear the whole mess up for yall, i am not trading my rf3II's with any other person. i purchased a set of rf3 at a local store. when i got home, the employees had accidently loaded rf3II's into my car. However, one of the rf3II's they gave me had the bent woofer. i am being offered to keep the bent II's or swap them out for unbent rf3's. so i feel you chaps are right....i'll keep the II's. By the way, these speakers are amazing. i plugged them in to my 3802, and for the first time in my life, i experienced sonic bliss in my own home. these II's were floor models so i think some of the necessary break in time for the speakers had already elapsed by the time i purchased them. anyway thanks again for your help and i look forward to many more chats on these boards--have a damn fine day.

ellis, that is pretty damn funny!

I pity the poor salesperson who was responsible for this mistake...

seriously, I am also wondering whether there really is a big difference between the RF-3 and RF-3 II. The Monster wiring seems to me like more marketing than down-to-earth thinking, but the internal foam improvement worries me a bit. I don't know if it's worth the increase in price though. Anyways, the point is fast becoming moot, as the original RF-3s are being phased out of the market pretty fast.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-08-2002 at 11:19 PM