Stain - light Oak Quartet - Would like to darken the color

jrader01

If they are lacquered, you can use Murphy's Wood Soap. Murphy's not only cleans the wood but darkens it a bit and brings out the grain. I'm not sure you can use it on an oiled finish.

However, a light coat of boiled linseed oil should somewhat darken an oiled finish. Be careful with the BLO rags because they will self-ignite. No joke!!

I'd like to go to a much darker brown. Do you know what kind of finish the use from the factory. Can you stain over that? I've seen the Boiled Lineseed Oil mentioned on a few posts, but had never heard of iit previously. Also have to admit, I'm looking at the laziness factor. Don't want to spend a day or two, stripping sanding, staining, and finishing. Thanks for any additional insight you are able to provide.

John

Without knowing what kind of finish is currently on the wood it is going to be next to impossible to make suggestions. Also, unless they are a very light oil finish or just raw wood, I very seriously doubt you are going to find anything to just "darken" them without stripping, sanding, staining and finishing.

Just my $0.02!

You can sand them very carefully with an orbital sander with medium then fine grit. Be especially careful around the edges and corners. Just enough to take off the finish and open up the wood pores. Get some watco walnut danish oil and keep putting on light coats until you get the desired darkness. Let each coat dry for a day or two. Wait for a week after the last coat and then add 2 or 3 very light coats of butchers wax. Buffing after each coat. I am in the middle of this process on a friends cornwalls.