Forte II, Chorus II or Cornwall II

herbd2

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but owning a pair of KSP-400's, I felt it was time to sign up. I know they aren't exactly "vintage" but I have some experience with speakers and they sound fantastic.

Anyways, I've got one of those FAQ's....... I love my KSP-400's so much, I want to purchase a pair of vintage klipsch specifically with a horn midrange.

Most of the speakers I own are "big" meaning 12-15" woofers so bass is important but not paramount.

I've been reading around here a bit and based on money and sound desires, I've narrowed it down the three models listed above. I have plenty of amps/receivers to combo up with them so I'm not worried about that end of it. Just looking for the Klipsch sound....that will make me want to upgrade further someday.

I'm looking for soundstage and dynamics, not necessarily rattling my shudders which are already missing slats. Any advice (even though it's probably an overasked question, would be appreciated.)

Thanks,

Herb

Where in Illinois you located Herb?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but after the few times I've had the opportunity hear Chorus II's and various Cornwalls side by side I've always found myself preferring the Chorus II's (thus why that's what I own). Ultimately, for me it comes down to the tractrix squawker having more open/smoother mids. The bass on the Cornwall is fatter, perhaps more bloated sometimes which can be a lot more forgiving of source material.

The Forte II actually digs lower than the other two and has tractrix mids, but the overall sound isn't as clean or big sounding. However, I think it has the best voicing of the 3. Sometimes the Chorus II can sound a bit lean on the bass.

Well that's my 2 cents anyway. My Chorus II's need some new diaphragms, but you would be more than welcome to swing by and hear them for yourself if you wanted.

I'm located in Carthage, which is in south western illinois. (ie. middle of nowhere)....Thanks for the offer to listen but I'm too far away.

I think that's the hardest part...not being able to A/B them.

I thought maybe the Chorus II having the 15" active and 15" passive would still be tight but somewhat deep in the bass....hmm.

Thanks for the info so far.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a pair of Forte's being powered by a Marantz 2252b(52w) receiver set up in a 13x13 room. The bass is just short of overwheming(in a good way). I have them in the corners pulled out about 13" from each wall toed in only about 5 degrees. With the EQ on the Marantz set to flat and the loudness button off, the bass is still prominent. I have to turn back the bass EQ to about one quarter to get it right.

Even when I had the Forte's set up in a 16x25 room, the bass was still strong.

My point is even if you buy the lesser of the three models(Forte II), the bass will not be lacking.

Many factors play a role in sound(bass) reproduction: room size/acoustics, amplification, woofer size,etc.

Bill