Refinishing an Academy

jhoak

So I've got this "cosmeticly challenged" Academy. I've updated the caps and changed to a titanium tweeter diaphragm. It sounds really nice.

My plan was to re-veneer it to match the La Scalas I just finished along with a pair of HBRs. My 5.1 system plans have taken another direction and I no longer need the Academy.

I really don't think I can get anywhere near what I have in it in it's current condition so I was thinking about new veneer. I have ready access to most of the "standard" veneers (oak, walnut, cherry, etc.) and can certainly get exotics but I'd like to keep the costs reasonable.

The question is... Which veneer and finish would be the most "desirable" in terms of resale?

to me, it would be Oak , Walnut...............or even Just a correctly applied coat of Black Paint. Most centers are in a cabinet and you don't see the finish........

JMHO...........

OR

Leave it along and sell it as is..............let someone else hassle with the problem...................

Perhaps you could offer it for sale in the buyer's choice of finish, and let them choose from a list you provide (oak, walnut, black laquer). That, or have two prices, raw or finished. Like Bill said, if its going in a cabinet, the buyer may just want to paint the edge to match the cabinet and wouldn't want to sink the extra money into a nice new finish job that won't be visible.