Speaker Hook-up/Amp

John0392

I apologize if this has been addressed before. Would there be a difficulty hooking a Integrated Power Amp to the bottom posts on my RF-3IIs while still having the top posts hooked to my AVR. I have the old Kenwood Integrated Power Amp (KA-9100) and was wanted to use it for Stereo with my mains. Of course I would not run both at the same time.

Has anyone had any experience with the KA-9100?

Pardon my ignorance re inital groups.

I'll assume the AVR is a different amplifier. Audio Video Receiver or a brand name?

And I'll assume the jumpers between the top and bottom terminals of the speaker are remaining in place, so the bass and treble units are driven.

The answer is, no, this is probably going to cause problems even if the amps are not "on" at the same time.

One problem is that the "off" amp may present an electical load to the "on" amp; and the "on" amp might be driving some internal electrial components, which the "on" amp wouldn't like in addition to the speaker.

The other problem is that the "off" amp might not like seeing an electrical input at its output.

The above is somewhat speculation. It could be an expensive experiment.

Now, there could be some work arounds, which I don't suggest. But, if there is a speaker select switch on the amps for A and B, you could make sure that the dead amp is driving the speaker from the, say A, output, and you make absolutely certain that is switched off A when driving the speakers from the other amp. It might work if you never make a mistake.

Overall, I'd not myself do what you seem to be contemplating.

RS might have some speaker selection boxes which could be wired backwards as amp selection boxes. Still, I'd be very careful. This is because it would still be possible to get the amps in parallel when both speakers are connected in backwards set up. So we're playing with the same problem.

Perhaps others can suggest an amp selection box commercially available.

If you are comfortable with doing some soldering and wiring you could make up an amp selection box with over the counter parts from RS. I could hand draw a schematic if you're interested.

Regards,

Gil

Right you are William,

you can accomplish this with a speaker hub of sorts where you can select the speakers to be played. In which case both systems will be connected to the hub and the hub controls the output. As William points out copper wire is bi directional and the current will flow in both directions.

------------------

MM

I suppose there would be no problemo using it for the mains by way of b-amping? I believe the old Kenwood KA-9100 is a pretty good one; however, I haven't used it in years (boxed up) and (1) channel is kaput so I would have to get it fixed. 150 wpc.

John, not sure if you're wanting to bi-amp or just use two different receiver's/amps with one set of speakers,but I have a selector box that allows for the input of two amps/receivers and two pair of speakers.It also has volume control for each pair of speakers.It is of high quality and made by Russound.I used it for a short while years ago and it works well with high power amps.I don't know if they are still available but if that sounds like what you're looking for let me know and I'll get you some more info.

Keith

Keith, that may be my best solution. I want to be able to run my RF 3s, not only from my H/K AVR but when listening to stereo music I would like to run them through this bohemoth Kenwood KA-9100 integrated Amp. A/B switch might be just the ticket. There must be other manufacturers making these things. I can't be the only one who would like to be able to do this.

Thanks