Blu Ray Questions - Upgrade

jbd

Thanks - I changed the output settings on the dvd player to BITSTREAM. I do not see Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio appear on the receiver during movie playback. Is there something else I need to do or could it be that some DVD's will not play these formats?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm stating the obvious but first make sure you are using a Bluray disk, not a standard DVD.

You will need to use either HDMI or multi-channel outputs to take advantage of Dolby True HD and DTS Master. If you are using a fiber optic or digital coax, the best you will get is Dolby Digital.

one more obvious question.

Are you sure the Disc has DTS-HD Master or Dolby Digital EX?

Try these steps

1- Load DTS-HD Encoded media

2-Press play

3- observe recievers auto detect settings, if DTS-HD pops up, continue watching your movie. if not then step 4

4- go to the DTS-HD encoded media's menu and under audio options select DTS-HD.

5- observe your receivers playing DTS-HD encoded media thru your speakers, if yes.. enjoy the show if no then step 6

6- Try another disc and repeat 1-5, should step 6 fail on to step 7

7- turn everything off and then back on, repeat 1-6, if 7 fails then 8

8- Test on some one elses set-up, if that fails step 9

9- Return BD Player

-Bill

If the receiver can decode the bitstream then well and good.

If not, then setting the Panasonic to PCM introduces a minor problem on DVDs. Everything gets sent PCM, including DD EX, and plain ol' DTS. It's a minor problem because most receivers have a couple of extra features that can be used with a native DD EX or DTS stream but when those streams are received via PCM you miss out on them.

If you want those features back you have to manually set the Panasonic to send bitstream for the DVD, then manually set it back to PCM if you play a Blu-Ray disc.

If Panasonic had simply allowed individual, separate PCM or bitstream settings for standard and HD audio formats there wouldn't be a problem.

Fianlly some Blu-ray success!

I set the DVD player's output to Bitstream and had to turn the seondary audio off. Then on the movie menu (not the easiest to navigate), I had to select True HD as the audio option. One would think it would default to this. In fact there weren't other audio options but I still had to selct it.

Once the movie began, the front of the receiver said True HD and I knew I was in luck. Pretty wicked sound effects for Monsters Vs. Aliens!

Many who reponded to this post suggested other listening formats. I was pleased with the True HD and assume this is the best possible format-studio quality. I could notice a difference between True HD,THX, Dolby EX, and all of the other ones that the Onkyo has.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Secondary Audio? Must be unique feature of that DVD player. Glad it worked. I had a hunch that you had to manually select the surround format to True HD. It would be nice if manufactures of electronics came up with a standard protocol to communicate and therefor the BD player would have known to select True HD for you because the BD Disc had True HD on it and that you set "the the audio setting in your receiver to the hIghest ".. aah technology.

-Bill

Fianlly some Blu-ray success!

I set the DVD player's output to Bitstream and had to turn the seondary audio off. Then on the movie menu (not the easiest to navigate), I had to select True HD as the audio option. One would think it would default to this. In fact there weren't other audio options but I still had to selct it.

Once the movie began, the front of the receiver said True HD and I knew I was in luck. Pretty wicked sound effects for Monsters Vs. Aliens!

Many who reponded to this post suggested other listening formats. I was pleased with the True HD and assume this is the best possible format-studio quality. I could notice a difference between True HD,THX, Dolby EX, and all of the other ones that the Onkyo has.

Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot about Secondary Audio. I have a Panny and it has that as well. I have not messed with the menu in a long time and forgot about that. Glad you got it worked out. You will be very impressed with the new audio formats.

Enjoy!