Matching Speakers for home surround system

Duke

I'm currently building a new home and planning on going with klipsch CDT-5800 -C in-ceiling speakers throughout the house. I have a large family room that will have a 65-inch plasma tv that I'm adding a 7.1 surround system to. I have a Dennon 4310 7.1 reciever and planning on using RB-81 bookshelf speakers along with a RC-64 center channel. I will be using the CDT-5800-C ceiling speakers as my surround speakers. Is this a good combination or should I look at a different combination.

Thanks for the reply. I have to keep the speakers hidden in ceiling per wife. She is a clean freak and the family room in question is fairly formal. i had to fight for the bookshelf speakers and center channel. She wanted them in the ceiling as well.

Honestly, I think your plan will be OK. Ya have to keep the better half happy! There have been many who swear by ceiling speakers. My preference is not the ceiling option but, I've heard a couple of in wall / ceiling systems that were very good. The placement is critical. There have been a couple of posts here (I can't find them... ARGH!) where the placement is diagrammed very well. With 65" of screen, about 10-12 feet back is pushing it for optimal viewing. Everything is relative. What are the room dimensions? How much volume (SPL) are you expecting for normal viewing? What's the budget?

Warning! If you get to experience a Heritage loaded HT, in time,.you will end up making your wife very angry!

Thanks for the reply. I have to keep the speakers hidden in ceiling per wife. She is a clean freak and the family room in question is fairly formal. i had to fight for the bookshelf speakers and center channel. She wanted them in the ceiling as well.

Beware the WAF [:o]

Could you hide some Klipshorns in the corners ? They look just like formal furniture [6]

i would strongly suggest not using CEILING speakers, but use in wall type, like this. it's the same concept but will work better. also if your surrounds are in the ceiling, it will drive you nuts when you know the sound is suppose to come from behind you, instead it's on top of you. i'd almost say, don't get anything and have a really good 3.1 set up.

WELCOME to the forums!

i would strongly suggest not using CEILING speakers, but use in wall type

I agree. My neighbor has an 11,000 sq/ft house and they pretty much went cost no object. Unfortunately, they did not consult me prior to designing it [:P]

In their living room (with something approaching 20' ceilings although they might be 15') they put in ceiling speakers. ALL of the speakers are in the ceiling but the tv is near the fireplace.

I feel like I'm in a stupid airport hearing PA announcements since the TV newscaster, scary monster, race car is visually in front of me but is being reported over my head like a small voice from God.

It's somewhat of a strange experience. I know you are saying your surrounds, but I would opt for in the walls so you can at least have a feeling that they're in the right place instead of overhead.