Speaker matching for RF82 and RF62 setups

John Seitzer

I have narrowed my purchase selection to either RF82 or RF62 left and right speakers. The limiting factor to my setup is the center speaker. I unfortunately have to go with RC52, rather than RC62 due to dimensions; RC62 is too big. I'd like to go with RF82s but is this too much of a mismatch with the center? Here are the two packages I am considering:

RF82, RC52, RS42, RW-10d

or

RF62, RC52, RS42, RW-12d

Cost is about the same on both. Which should I get and do you think these speakers will work well together? I'm likely going with Sony STRDA5500ES receiver. Have Sony Bravia 52"Z tv and Playstation 3. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Moderators

Hi John, welcome to the forums. Either system will be nice but I have one suggestion. If you are looking at a $2000 Sony receiver, why not look into separates? Never been a Sony fan myself, even in the ES series. If you prefer to use a receiver, have you checked into Yamaha, Denon, Harman Kardon or Marantz?

if it makes you feel better about the purchase you can see what Klipsch reccemends. also it has been discussed to death, as far as RF-82 vs. RF-62, theres is little to no difference if you factor in a sub. to me if they cost the same, i'd get the 82's just becasue, you know the guy thing....testosterone and stuff.....lol

i agree with the other two guys, ditch the 2k sony and get something much better and 1/5th the cost. if you just have to spend that kind of money, here's a really good suggestion.......

this + this = KICK BUTT!

i suggested that amp for cost and common sence reasons. the speakers you have chosen don't need tons of head room and what most people forget is, speakers use what is AVAILABE, not what is actually driven. meaning if you have a 100,000,000 watt amp, your speaker is only going to use, lets say 60watts at an ear splitting volume. there is an happy medium, so i would go with any amp rated at a lower wattage, but i also would spend the extra $$$ on this and this to make a 7.1. also remember your side surrounds use so little wattage that what ever is left over, your mains and center can use, if you actually need it. that's also one of the huge selling points about emotiva.

WELCOME to the forums!

forgot to add in there, since you are only going 5.1, the amp i suggested won't be 125 per channel, it will go to 175 watt per channel. if you don't know much about emotiva, i'd call their tech support and have a chat. tell them what you are doing and they will explain everything regarding their amps. i am sure they are use to us Klipsch heads by now, a lot of us here, including me, own their gear!

The main reasons for leaning toward the Sony receiver (think I'd pay around $1,400) include: 1) networking capability (i.e. DLNA, internet radio, can access online audio content; I don't have a great audio collection and seems online free content is an appealing source and will only continue to get better) 2) remote control compatibility with other Sony stuff (tv and PS3); thinking Sony will talk better to Sony, show more on-screen information related to the system, etc. 3) ability to communicate/sync/work better with my current Sony stuff. Sound quality is important but features and ease of use are also important.

If this flawed thinking? Can I get ease of use and features, without sacrificing sound quality? I have four kids that'll be pushing buttons and don't want them trying to figure out what sequence needs to be pushed just to switch inputs. Would separates complicate running the system? Would sticking with receiver but switching from Sony to a different brand make it complicated? Maybe a universal remote and separates gets me the best of all worlds? If so, I'm not wedded to Sony. Thoughts?

Thanks for comments thus far.

you are thinking way too hard. get a Logitech remote, any of them. i have a 720 i picked up for $80. it's so easy to program. 1 button fuctions, like if you want to watch a movie, i hit "PS3" and everything i need to watch that movie automatical turns on, including the sub. now to control the ps3 with a logitech you will need a Blu-Wave remote (just the usb stick part of it) or the logitech adapter. they sell that on their web site. i am pretty sure there are way better receivers out there with the features you listed. i know what you are thinking, i had a friend who insisted on everything sony, including the speakers! i couldn't talk him out of it, but after he bought everything, he was not happy. made me laugh, and i really did, at him! (not in a mean way)