Where to run the old sub

beemer

Okay, here's another question for the Klipsch gurus out there..

I am going to upgrade my system with a new sub in the near future (more on that in a new thread shortly) and have been wondering what to do with my old sub. It just doesn't quite cut it for HT (my main listening mode) but is still producing a very acceptable sound. Given the specs of my system, would I be better off using it to fill out my rear surrounds or run it with my SC1 up front. I realize a great deal of sound information goes to the center channel but how much is in the lower frequencies that a sub would handle as compared to the rears? Thoughts? Opinions??

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

Need more information before a real answered can be applied. Mainly. How are you connecting the sub? "line in" (connected from pre/amp, receiver with one sub cable), or are you using the sub in line with a pair of speakers (do the speaker cables run into sub from amp, and out from sub to set of speakers). This is important when you talk about adding a sub to certain speaker pairs like rear channels or center channel. Bass information distributed to a sub when using a line in connection, uses your receiver/pre-amp's bass management system. Bass is not handled the same why when the sub is connected "in line" with a pair of speakers. If using a "line in" connection you will not be per say add bass to front back or center, but you will be simply adding bass to the whole configuration. This is because the bass information is passed to the sub from any speaker where the information is i.e. LFE or below the crossover point of the receiver/pre-pro. In this case the bass info that the sub plays can be from any channel (you dont have a choice unless you can set crossovers for individual speakers like the maridian 561, sweet). However if you are using the sub in line with a certain pair of speakers then you will only get information going to the sub from those channels. To do this you must set those speakers to large and use the low pass and high pass filters on the sub to addjust the crossover. Also if you are going to use the sub as the lower end of the frequency band for a certain speaker or certain group of speakers then the sub should sit in close proximity of those speaker(s) its playing with for better sound. If the sub is used with a sub cable, then put the sub where it gives you the best sound like behind or next to the couch in your listening area or whereever it sounds the best to you. Hope that helps

------------------

MM

I stand corrected. My intentions were to run the old sub in-line with which ever speakers I settled on using. The new sub will run off the LFE line from the receiver/amp. Both my rear channels and the center have similar low frequency limits (50 hz on the 2.2s and 60 on the SC1) so I was going to set them large and use the sub crossover to blend. Sorry for not clarifying...

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

Beemer,

Beemer... is that a play on BMW? If so we share that passion as well, but thats a different forum.. LOL

Ok.

If it were me I would split the sub output from the receiver and place the sub i.e behind or beside the couch/chair in the primary listening position. This will give you the best of both worlds. Bass information from all 5 speakers, and it will also help to balance the room out. My second choice would be to run them in line with the rears, and place them between the two if possible or in a rear corner. My last choice would be to put the sub in line with the center. The center is the hardest working speaker in the configuration but not much low frequency information going to the center.

------------------

MM

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

BMW 760Li

What forum?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

yeah I love all the M cars. Have loved em for years. I just traded a 98 E39 (528) for a 02 530 soley for the xenon head lights. I know it sounds crazy, but oh well. This is a trip.. we are talking about cars on a speaker companies buliten board.. Sorry Klipsch.

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 03-09-2002 at 09:04 PM