Is SDDS a sound format like Dolby Digital and DTS?

Kain

When I went to watch "Lord of the Rings" in a theater, they had it playing in SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound). I was wondering if SDDS is a sound format like Dolby Digital and DTS. If it is, how does it compare to them?

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT 16:9 HDTV LCD Projector

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V (European version)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

they won't, it would require too much space, as the compression is MUCH lower (if there is any) than DD or DTS.

unless we have a new high-capacity media that comes around, I don't see how it could be made available to us. plus, imagine the hardware-related nightmare: you'd have to upgrade your receiver or processor, and your DVD player, to be able to take advantage of potentially few software.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

we have the technology right now for a super density type DVD disc... it could hold the audio i am sure... but it won't be around for consumers for a while. i can live with DD-EX and DTS-ES for now Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Amen..

Besides I just filled the holes in my wall from the DSP-A1's front effects speaker mounts. LOL.

Aint looking to go through the configuration headache again, however the wire is stil behind the wall, and since the B&K is both hardware and firmware upgradeable

It would be tempting. On the other hand like you said Seb by the time the software caught up with whats currently released and you have to purchase all your favorite movies over again it would not be worth it. No doubt Sony is thinking about it tho..

------------------

MM