First Juicy Music, now Wright Sound...

Yukon Jackass

Both are pretty much gone. Mark retired, and Mr. Wright passed away. I know you can get their products used here and on Audiogon / Ebay, but it's still sad, since both of these companies made amps and preamps that were a good match with Klipsch speakers. Plus, they were both made in the USA and reasonably priced.

The search for new American made tube components that don't cost a fortune goes on.

Yeah, but it's harder and harder. Manley, Rogue, Cary, AES...the list is healthy, but these companies are kinda pricey. All I ever really wanted was a good tube preamp, a la a Blueberry. Now I have to look through Audiogon for one. Also, Wright made an EL84 integrated that even Mark DeNeen said would be a perfect match for a pair of new Heresy IIIs. And, of course, AES no longer makes the integrated Superamp.

Darnit!

I am suffering through similar teeth mashing......

I thought I had it ALL figured out. Had plans to buy a JM Peach II from way back - planned it for late this year. I'm a working stiff and have to plan/budget/save for these things. Just as that purchase began to become forseeable and in reach Mark retired. He deserves it absolutely - but that really put a wrench into my plans. I KNOW what that thing sounds like, and finding an alternative that I feel THAT sure of will be difficult.

And yes, these domestic/smaller/hand built companies/craftspeople ARE more expensive, but in my mind you get what you pay for. Another prime example is Craig Ostby's VRD monoblock amplifiers. Yeah, they're pricey at $3200 per pair, but worth every penny - an amplifier of such quality to justify a lifetime of "reference standard" amplification for that $3200. You couldn't get me to trade that for ANY similarly powered asian import - or Mac or much else for that matter. So yes, domestic, smaller companies and craftspeople are more expensive, but worth it.