HT Setup Tips

GWMoody

My new HT is now configured. Speakers to be RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 (4)and when done will compare Sunfire signature and Velodyne HGS-18, 15 or 12 in situ for sub selection.

The preferred receiver, Denon 5803, will not ship until end of March and then I will need some time to evaluate before buying. Therefore, I will get going with Pioneer 49TX or Denon 3802 (which has most of the features of the 5803). Any comments so far?

Do you have any guidance for a logical procedure to setup the system? Front channels first, then surround and then back surround with sub last? Should I get a signal generator to check a number of different frequencies? How best to determine speaker locations particularly distanc apart for surround backs? How should I achieve seamless transition to sub?

G.W., the first thing you need to set up a system is a Radio Shack SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter... be sure to get the analog version... it's about $35. There are aspects of setting up a 5.1 (or greater) system that NO human ears can do. There are instructions included... but if you need help, just ask and there are plenty of Forum members who can.

The RSW 15 (or two) is a particularly musical set of subs with your system. If they are not your choice than I would suggest dual SVS Ultras with a 1000 watt Samson (or better amp). They will provide you with Dolby Digital Minimum Standard for Theater Bass... and your other choices will not.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, you will find there are a lot of good people who care about fellow Klipschters... and a few scraggly Bose-afied minions who do not. -HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS, FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE STAGE FOR THE "THEATER OF THE MIND"...

KLF-30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF-30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners. Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808 Upscale Monster Cables and Interconnects

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center '83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. to be determined after long discussions with Klipsch Forum Members.

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge in 8' x 30'... vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!"

s>

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-11-2002 at 08:00 AM

HornEd,

Who are the Bose-fied minions?

Smile.gif

GWMoody,

If true low sub bass is king then both the Sunfire Signature and Velodyne HGS15 and 18 will outperform the RSW15 on deep sub bass.If you get two Sunfire Signature subs you will have an almost stealth subwoofer system with huge output down low.The HGS18 has good output down to 16Hz and is the clean sub of the gang,its servo control and dual tandem push pull VC system is very effective.

The SVS Ultra HornEd is talking about are very large,if you dont mind size they are great,reach as low as the HGS18 plus have the greatest output of the lot.

Ahem the Revel B15 is in the same price category as the HGS18,it has bigger output.Better crossover,the crossover is its strong point,as it can be fine tuned to integrate better then all the above subs in a system.Its strong to 20Hz,in fact it will stun many HGS18 owners.At under $3000 is a great buy,for music or HT.

If you can spend a bit more I would urge you to take a good look at the JBL Ti-K,this sub cleans the HGS18 and even takes SVS best head on.The Ti-K has more punch then the SVS Ultra and can hit SPL to make you sick.It costs $5000,this is less great.Performance wise there is NOTHING in its size that can beat this unit. This is my next purchase

The Aerial could be thrown in the picture but its even moer expensive. Frown.gif Preformance is amazing and blends with any speaker set to perfection.$6500 in gorgeous bird's eye maple.

On the reciever front I would get the Pioneer VSX49,this new unit is superior to the Denon 5800.The pre/pro section also has auto calibration,all the features you may want and the amplifier section is very potent.I compared my(now sold)Denon 5800 to the VSX49 and the big Pioneer sounds better,with Klipsch(R-7's,RC-7 and RF-5 sourrounds)and with Dynaudio its the same story.Get the VSX49,later if you crave huge amp power(the VSX49 has more power then you will need with the Klipsch)you can always add a nice ATI 2505 and blow the doors off your house. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the advise.

I have a digital Radio Shack sound meter bought recently. Should I exchange it for the analogue version?

Based on the preference for 49TX over 5800 should I get a 37TX over the 3802 if I get a cheaper stopgap? (The reason I picked this level for the stopgap is that it has most of the bells and whistles except THX Ultra II, HDTV support (bandwidth) and 1394). I am really reluctant to buy the all singing all dancing receiver until I there is a little more visibility regarding IEEE 1394. The 5803 is supposed to be 1394 upwards compatible. But in view of your comments I would now need to conduct a careful comparison between it and the 49TX.

G.W., although both meters will work, the analog version is the more accurate of the two. In essence, the convenience of a digital read-out is exchanged for the quicker visualization of needle sweep ranges since "pink noise" and other test sounds tend to rise and fall... thereby not having a precise digital number... but rather a range which cannot be accurately shown on the digital version. I suggest you exchange it. HornEd

PS: Ears... re: "Bose-afied"... I had to find some term to describe those who did not agree with you cwm34.gif! Actually, since Bose is (fairly or not) most often reviled here, I wanted to reflect that some posters are out of step with the "cool" majority on this board. H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-11-2002 at 08:04 AM

GW

49TX---GREAT PICK ! Have enjoyed mine since mid January---wait until you run it through the "auto speaker calibration" set up---you won't believe it and in fact MAY NOT need the Rat Shack SPL meter at all (except maybe for the sub set up---but maybe not even then).

I"ve got an all Klipsch array---so speaker matching/calibration wasn't a big deal anyway---but I can tell you that I have tweaked my setting after the auto calibrate and find I can't beat it--period---so I gave up tweaking

So, get even more excited about your 49TX pick (the Denon 5803 doesn't match--IMHO)I can tell you that it is one purchase for which I NEVER had a twinge of buyers remorse

Enjoy ! Dave