Help with Subwoofer selection............

Skow

Finally I've got the Klipsch system I've always wanted and now have to make a choice for subwoofer.I have RF-3II RS-3II and RC-3II and love the way it sounds....even my wife is a Klipsch convert...Now that is a miracle!!! I'm considering the KSW-15 or one of the reference line but have no place to check them out.The room my home theater is in is large 26' by 20'with catherdral ceilings.Any opinions about what would compliment the speakers I have in regards to a Sub??? This forum has been a great source of info and any help is welcomed.I've learned alot from you guys Thanks.................

This message has been edited by Skow on 03-11-2002 at 11:44 PM

Good choice,great speakers.Now the sub part

I would not even consider the weakling KSW line,is of little help to the RF-3's,it extends down to 30Hz and from then it crumbles.The RSW10 is also too damn weak below 35Hz,if fact its a joke below 35Hz,of no use with RF-3's.

You need a sub with plenty of low end punch,in this case a SVS CS-Plus with a simple low cost Samson 1000 El Cheapo will do fine.One CD-Plus whipes out the impressive looking RSW12 and 15!

Another choice would be to check the SUnfire Mark II out.This tiny cube beats the RSW line on deep sub bass also.And its tiny even compared to the RSW-10!

I like Klipsch speakers alot,but for its size the RSW-15 low sub bass(below 40Hz)performance is very poor.I dont know who the designer(s) is but if Bob Carver was in charge the RSW-15 would pulverise any competiotion in a brutal way.The RSW-15 uses one active 15" driver and one passive radiator,the Sunfire Mark II two 8" units(when you consider how large the sourround is),with a 15" unit Bob would make Tom go back to the drawing board. Smile.gif

So the best choices in my view

SVS SC-Plus W Samson 1000(most bass per dollar here)

SVS Ultra W Samson 1000(similar to above with MORE output)

Sunfire Mark II(most bass per cubic inch here)

Sunfire Signature(similar to above with MORE output)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Really it comes down to how much you want to spend. If $1000-$2000 then an svs is prolly the best. For under $1000 a paradigm pw-2200 is a good choice imo. $2000+ id say a velodyne HGS series or something similar, RSW Klipsch possibly , but I havent heard these.

Thanks for the Info Ear and Maximo its apprecated I see a lot of posts mentioning SVS and it sure seems worth looking into.My systems usage is 50% theater and 50% music and my main concern is the size of the room and so far the RF-#3's do a nice job filling it with great sound but it is missing that deep bass and your comments Ear about the range of the Klipschs really make alot of sense and now I know in which direction to look & listen Thanks again and as always good advise......................

This message has been edited by Skow on 03-12-2002 at 12:15 AM

I had the RF3s and a KSW12 which does very very well, for Home Theater, musically did ok, which is why I'm upgrading to a Velodyne SPL1200, that should arrive this week so I can report first hand how the difference is then.

SVS, if I wasn't married...I'd probably would have gone that route, but man they are an imposing looking speaker and with the RF7s already taking up the skyline in my living room, 21 x 15, I would never get wife approval of that one, the Velodyne is reported to be a strong solid performer and great musically as well as home theater so I opted for that one...after that purchase I'm taking a break!!!

Good luck on your move, the KSW 12 is a solid subwoofer and you can get one of those for under 300 I believe if you search long enough...

I initially went with the KSW12 to keep with the Klipsch lineup and opted on the 12 as a happy medium for both music and home theater, as the 15 I thought would be very good on HT but lousy on music...not responsive or quick enough, but I was theorizing on that score.

G2