new receiver, crossover, sub settings....im lost, please help

djwarila

hello everyone. i have a few questions about what to set my speakers to from my receiver. i have read up on it a little bit, but still kinda confused. i have rf-83's for my fronts, an rc-52 for a center (for now), rsx-3's for rears and 2 Kw-120 subs. i wanted to know what to set the crossovers ect. to? i have an integra receiver so i can adjust each individual speaker. i do notice when i play music i do not get that much bass from the kw's so i would assume that something isnt right. i have heard these in the store and they can rattle a foundation, lol any help would be appreciated, thanks

if you are listening to music in pure direct mode then this will cut of the sub and only L & R speakers are used

the standard settings are sub xover on avr is 80hz, and on sub turn xover dial to the max and volume on sub around 10 o'clock

on avr set all speakers to small and bass sub only

What AVR make and model, surely it has Large/Small options, let's take a look. Avareage run of the mill setting is 80hz crossover but you don't want the AVR and sub to argue over who's boss. I have yet to look at your sub manual but can you defeat the sub's onboard xover and just use the AVR's?

Oh boy! There will be as many ideas as forum members!

For what it's worth..... my mains go down to ~50 Hz. So I set the crossover on the subs to ~ 50Hz also. That sounds very good and music has a much punchier low end. I run all speakers as "large". I tried variuos combinations of small/large and leaving all as large sounds the best for my setup.

The AVR allows a +/- for each speaker so based on the sensitivity, I boosted the center, surrouinds, and surrond backs to compensate for the differnence. The La Scalas are 104db, the Heresy is 97db, and the rb-25s are 94db. So I set the +/- for the center Heresy at +5 and the rb-25s at + 7 which is just below what the db rating differences would dictate. This is just right. I admit giving the rear surrounds an extra +1 or 2 just cuz multi channel stereo for music is SO cool.

Having the subs set to anything over 50Hz causes a sonic competition that is really distracting. Lower than 50 and there is certainly something missing. (The La Scalas drtop off quick below 50 Hz.

I'm assuming you are using the KA-100 amp with the KW-120s so you should be able to dial in the sound that YOU like. It's all about YOUR preferences. Since your RF-83s are rated down to 29HZ, I don't know if setting the sub amp at abot 30 will give you the thump you are looking for. Experiment. My gut is telling me that 40 to 45 will do the trick. Then again, your room could be absorbing the 83s low end and 45-55 might be better.

Let us know what you find!