Amp thoughts and question

irishhitman

My current setup is RF 7's, RC 7 with RS 52's, RW12 with an in-ceiling for my center rear which is two-channel = 7.1. I have a Yamaha RX/v 1000 receiver as a Pre and Aragon 2007 for the power. This is inside of a dedicated room 13' x 22' and is 70 percent movie 30 percent music. I have had different setups in this room with the Aragon 200 x 7 amp being the newest replacement of an Adcom 125 x 7 amp which made a noticeable difference in the overall sound quality. Now that we have the setup in clear focus here are my thoughts and question.

Again my statement would be that the sound quality and ceiling are enjoyable but being a 30 some-odd year audiophile that I am always looking for sound Utopia. Would the Reference series Klipsch front array be better served with a more powerful amp x 3 leaving the Aragon to power the remaining channels? I have seen a mention of an Emotiva 3 channel amp that seems to be popular among the collective wisdom here on the board. I am not really looking to spend additional money to remain the same but if maybe I should be looking for a better way to utilize my current setup that work work also. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

It looks to me that your setup is pretty darn good!

More power would be overkill if you ask me. I have an Outlaw amp (7700; which is 200 wpc) driving my RF 7 series speakers and my room is a little bit larger than your in terms of dimensions and SF and it would be insane for me to turn my system up "all the way".

You would have to get a 400 or 500 wpc amp to notice even a slight difference (+3 db) in volume, and I dont think you would make it sound better.

Have you had Dean G mod your crossovers? That would make them sound better. PM him for info on details and pricing, but many of us highly recommend him and the process.

Good Luck!

Have you had Dean G mod your crossovers? That would make them sound better.

In previous post I have seen the Dean G mod reference more than a few times and I appreciate your advice. Could you tell me the degree of difficulty of removing the crossovers and what I can expect as far as sound quality differences?

Removing the crossovers is easy. I think it's a T20 or so torx head. You'll need to remove the tweeters to get to the wire connectors on the drivers. Be aware, the tweeters are heavier than they look. The sound qualities are a more defined mid range and much smoother highs.