Dusting off the ole AV Set up

tinpan

Been lurking for a couple of years and seem to have caught the bug again. Years ago I had a pretty nice set up as follows:

Power

Carver CV27 preamp

Phase Linear 400 front amp

Carver TFM ( 25 or 35) surround

Carver TFM ( 25 or 35) Center

Speakers:

KV1 Center

CF3 Fronts

KG4 Surround

Over time one channel in the Phase went out and one channel of one the Carvers went out, plus a couple of the meters quit working.

So I ended up putting all the amps in storage and bought an Onkyo TX-ds575x and relegated myself to a pretty standard Prologic 5.1 set up

with a Pioneer S-w1000 sub. The KG 4s went into storage and I hung a pair of BA HD5 speakers for surround.

When my 35 inch tv went out I bought a Sony 42 inch LCD TV, which has started the whole mess all over again.

Since the Onkyo didn't have HDMI I bought a couple Yamaha RX-V765 receivers, one for my kid and one for myself. The thirteen year old is running

his with the Klipsch HD300 and I set it up in Prologic 7.1. He is in hog heaven watching Transformers ROTF everyday.

I am also running in 7.2 with a pair of the small HD300 speakers set up in presence mode and the 8 inch sub connected. I also replaced the Pioneer with a Synergy 12.

So here's my question, a couple of them,

1)What would you suggest for a new Center speaker to compliment the CF3s ?

2) Should I get my KG 4s out of storage and use them for surround? Can you suggest speaker stands?

3) Should I invest in different surround speakers?

4) The Yamaha is capable of Bi-amping and so are the CF3s, should I switch from presence mode to bi-amp?

The new receivers have definitely put the fun back into watching movies again and those CF3s are sounding sweet again. I'd really like to upgrade my center and surrounds to match their performance.

Thanks

Tinpan

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Now that you have made your appearance, don't be a stranger. :)

1)What would you suggest for a new Center speaker to compliment the CF3s ?

KV-4 is the matching speaker for the CF3's.

Should I get my KG 4s out of storage and use them for surround?

Sure, you have them, might as well put them to use.

The Yamaha is capable of Bi-amping and so are the CF3s, should I switch from presence mode to bi-amp?

I heard no audible difference when I bi-amped my RF-83's with my Yamaha. Unless you bypass the internal crossovers and use an active crossover, you won't be able to truly benefit from bi-amping.

those CF3s are sounding sweet again.

The CF-2's and KV-3 were my first set of Klipsch speakers. CF-2's were excellent, especially paired with an HK receiver.

Hi Youthman and thank you for the welcome. I might change my plans a little. I found a black pair of Lascalas

about 40 miles from my home for $ 800 bucks. I've been looking for a set of these for a while so I think I'll

swing by there during lunch and check them out.

here is the info the seller gave me:

Restored

Tweeter: 477M (9404), Midrange: K-55-V, Cross Over: AL-3 and Woofer I believe it to be part # 15418

Interestingly enough there is a single Lascala, which looks pretty dinged up and maybe repainted in white for $ 250

about 60 miles the other way from my house.

I'l let you know what i find out

Well I picked up the black lascalas tonight, they seem to be working fine, but they are ugly. Someone painted them with black

anti skid paint and installed aluminum bracket around all of the side. Oh well, ugly but they work. I am going to go look at the white

one tomorrow, it sounds to be in uglier condition, but works. I'll deal with the cosmetics later.

One question I do have though, I haven't hooked a pair of these up in 20 years. Is the input color coded red being positive and black being negative?

All of the odd numbers are back and the even in red. Just want to make sure I hook them up correctly tomorrow

Thanks

Robin

Thanks for confirming the speaker set up, just wanted to make sure. I hooked them up this morning. To be honest with you I loved my Epic CF-3s and with the recently added sub I was worried that the Lascalas may not have that sweet spot sound. Well that concern is gone, OMG man do they sound sweet.

Industrial Lascalas, hmm..I'll post some pics later and we'll figure that out. I am off to check out the beat up white Lascala this afternoon. He says it works so

I'll probably be hooking that one up tonight. Now i wonder if I should use my CF3s as surround or the KG 4s?

Thanks

Tinpan

I picked up the White Lascala last night and boy do they sound great. I was originally thinking about adding a RC-64 for center to my CF-3s. Now i have mover my CF-3s to surround and have the Lascalas for LCR fronts. If I have done it correctly the pics should be attached

post-41394-13819526321642_thumb.jpg