The Ten Commandments

Mighty Favog

O.k. so I usually don't buy movies that were made in 1956 but this one I've always viewed as a definite classic.

The colors were to say the least eye-popping. There may have been some color enhansing going on during the transfer to DVD. It was most apparent when Nefretire (sp?) would visit Yoshabell in the slums.

The audio had a little too mush dynamic range for me; not much but almost enough to reach for the remote. Scenes with thunder and the like also has been added to. A little extra 60Hz and under was a nice touch and a good carrier of the power of God.

Well worth sitting for 3 2/3 hours to see. Could waite till Easter to watch it on TV and glad I didn't.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Don't laugh but, Gone With the Wind is much more enjoyable on DVD too, Tom.

Maybe it helps to have better quality equipment and/or multi-channel nowadays but hey, even Steppenwolf sounds better than years ago. :^)

Keith

The Ten Commandments on TV?, DVD?,DTS? What are these abbreviated terms you guys are using. Do you mean that I can actually order this movie from a Montgomery Ward or Sears Roebuck catalog ?

I dont own a projector so I guess Im going to miss it .These 35 and 70mm films must be expensive. How do you people afford this stuff? Bummer!. I remember when I went to see this movie about 3 to 6 months after it was released in 1956. I tagged along with some of my older friends in the neighborhood and got in the theater without my parents. I was 7 .In those days a kid my age could walk the streets of N.Y. without any fear. I dragged in my salami sandwich in a bag and just stared at the Bon Bons in the freezer case. Those were the days when you went to see movies just because the theater was the only place in town with air conditioning.

I have to agree with Tom that the colors are outstanding in this movie. Keith ,about that Steppenwolf record, do you think I should read the book before I buy one down at the Five and Dime? And Boa, I have a question. How in the world can a light be black? You kids and your new fads make me laugh. Hoola Hoops and

that new dance, the Twist or Mashed Potatoes or something? I dont know. Maybe Ive got some catching up to do but I cant waste anymore time here. I have to get back to fixing an electric can opener. I just got it 17 years ago! Darn new fangled contraptions! They just dont make things like they used to.

TV means television

DTS means Digital Theater Sound, an encoding format at 5.1, higher quality than Dolby Digital most of the time

DVD means digital versatile disc (some say digital video disc)

DD means Dolby Digital, can be from mono to 5.1

DTS-EX meand Digital Theater sound at 6.1 output

DD-ES means Dolby Digital at 6.1 output

LFE means Low Frequency Effects (your subwoofer sound)

this is a dvd that he watched on a tv with the sound encoded using probably dolby digital (DD) and boa was wondering if it was encoded in DTS also (or hoping for it at least)

5.1 consists of front left and right, a center speaker and two rear speakers, along with a sub woofer (LFE) channel

6.1 is 5.1 with a rear center speaker.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Sorry guys about not getting (in Star Trek "The Movie" lingo) 'Required Information that V-Ger needs'. It's in Widescreen format, DD- English 5.1 Surround, English DD Surround. This is quoted from the box.

Try This: The Ten Commandments on DVD

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 03-19-2002 at 08:27 PM

So Tom, what do you have against things made in 1956? I know of some very fine things made that year. Moi, for instance. Also, if I recall, the first nuclear sub was launched that year. How about the '56 Vette? You wouldn't mind having one of those, would you? cwm30.gif

------------------

JDM

Just don't ask me to find the gas cap on a 56' Bel Aire again.cwm27.gif

Oh contraire. I really love all the Sci-Fi movies from that era that I watched when I was 10 (1975). My parents were married in 57' and dad, at the time, drove a 55' Olds 98 Convertable w/Rocket 98 engine. When I first met my (now) girlfriend she told me she had a 50' Buick Roadmaster with an automatic shift. After I picked up my tounge and went to go look at it, turns out it was a near empty hull of what WAS a 50' Buick. DOH!! Taking on that tast was dimished by the fact that she also drove a Saab 900s so all the wrench turning was on that thing.

Just that I find myself buying DVD's of music concerts of either bands I listened to in the 70's or ones I attended.

No real distain for 56', just very few classics I'm THAT interested in. cwm38.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

I also like sci-fi from that era, also the "biblical epics", including, of course, "The Ten Commandments", the mother of all bible epics. (I'm no film buff; I'm assuming TTC was the first. It seems one real successful movie always spawns a host of similar ones.)

My folks had a '55 Bel Aire, blue-green and white. It's the first car I actually remember. I recall standing on the drive shaft hump, leaning over the front seat. Don't ask me why I remember that particular bit of trivia - who knows?

Anyway, just giving you a hard time.

------------------

JDM

James, speaking of Sci-Fi from that era, the War of the Worlds was on television again last night.Released in 1953. I could not beleive how good it still looked even on my wide screen tv. Surprising. Of course there's my favorite from those days Forbidden Planet.

BBB,

Ah, "The War of the Worlds"! One of my all-time faves! I remember seeing it on TV as a kid - scariest movie ever...well, up there with "The Wizard of Oz", and "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte". At least to a kid, in the sixties.

tblasing,

My sense of humor tends to definitely be on the dry side, but if I'm "instigating", it will hopefully be obvious.

Now, about that wart...cwm12.gif

------------------

JDM