Recommendation for Tube Amp Service?

Cornwalled

Hello all,

I have a tube power amp from a 50's Curtis Mathes hi-fi console. The previous owner modified it to run on it's own- 3 prong power cord, rca inputs, and 5-way binding posts. However, it's in need of work electrically. It looks like it wasn't recapped, and I'm pretty sure the EL-84's are bad.

Basically, it needs some attention. Would Craig at NOSValves be the one to do this?

I'm away from home or I'd post a pic. Basically, it has 4 EL-84's, 1 12AX7, and 1 5U4 rectifier tube. It's just a power amp, no pre.

Any thoughts on what the best way is to address this?

Thanks,

Jon

I called Craig and he asked me to send some digital pictures. From what he's said, it sounds like depending on the unit, it may not necessarily be worth the cost to rebuild it, since some of those "console" amps used pretty cheap output transformers.

When I get home, I'll take pics and send them to Craig and post them here.

The reason I'm starting to think tubes again is because I scored some JBL 4425's at a flea market. I re-foamed them and they're sounding great.

I don't have the money to buy a high end tube amp, so I thought maybe I could get this fixed up, but it sounds like I wouldn't be happy with it. I don't think it's really worthy of driving those JBL's.

We'll see what happens.

Jon