RC-64 below TV need more db than 75?

freestyle

Have you guys that have that center found that it needs more db than 75 if it's under or above the TV?

I'm finding that my Sony AVR used as a pre pro with an xpa2 and 3 is setting all the speakers at 75 but the center at 80db when checked with a Radio Shack SPL.

Any input is appreciated!

You may try angling the center channel up, but in theory (I have no experience with Sony products) their EQing software should give you a uniform, consistent reading from all of your speakers at your LP, which should be able to be confirmed with your SPL meter. In other words, it shouldn't be "bumping" up the level of your center channel.

{EDIT: your spl meter, as well as your EQing microphone should be at ear level at the same spot to get consistent results.}

Yah, it's angled up as much as it can be...The sony is getting all the speakers right on 75 except the center for some reason...and that's with or without the emo amps.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this happen if thier center is below or above thier TV....Or if they are finding the need to bump up the db's to compensate for height.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this happen if thier center is below or above thier TV....Or if they are finding the need to bump up the db's to compensate for height.

You may prefer your center channel to be bumped up manually higher than your other speakers, but 75 dB is 75 dB (i.e., same loudness) regardless of what height it's coming from. {EDIT: If you raise the center channel's trim after getting a 75 dB reading from all three speakers, then your center channel will be louder, instead of level-matched.}

Otoh, if you are asking to accomplish that level, the center channel's gain/trim needs to be adjusted by 5 dB according to the numbers on the AVR to get it even with your other speakers to achieve 75 on an actual SPL meter, then that would be the correct procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey rich guy...I'm gonna try it.....i just didn't know if not having the center at shoulder to head/ear level mattered. and if the sony was trying to compensate for the center being a foot off the ground. an inch is about all i can angle it up due to the stand it's in.

The height really should not matter as far as setting and matching the
db levels, you should set them so the levels are the same at the
listening position. Personally I think it may be a quirk in the Sony if anything.

I use a Radio Shack meter and manually set my speakers at the the same level myself.