I bought a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2 speakers and was wondering if I need to replace my amp.

fivecoopers

I finally purchsed my first pair of Klipsch fllor speakers speakers. I've been using smaller klipsch in my HT for years. I picked up a set of KG-4.2's which are used with a Panasonic SA-HE200k 6.1 Home theatre systems. The thing I notice is that I don't get much sound from the horns unless I really crank it up. I was wondering if it the amplifier makes a difference. Reading through the forums it sounds like it some amps are better at driving the horns than others. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully many others will chime in with extremely specific suggestions, but overall, your problem doesn't make sense. The 4.2s should be more efficient/sensitive than the smaller ones, meaning they should play louder with the same level of input from the amp.

Are the new 4.2s in more or less the same location as the previous smaller ones? If not, then room acoustics and listening distance could be an issue.

Are you certain that all drivers are working? The 4.2s are a two-way system (tweeter, woofer+passive), so make sure that the tweeters are working (a simple test is to stuff a balled up sock in the tweeter horn, and a big difference will be heard; if not, the tweeter is not working). Have you double checked your hook up, making sure that they are both wired in correct phase (pos to pos, neg to neg)?

Does the HT amp have any sort of automatic level setting that is lowering the level of the mains?

Sorry, that's all I have to suggest at present.

Well, all I can add is that I use KG 4.2's with some vintage Harmon Kardon and Marantz receivers.......and they sing!!! By far the most modest system I have in the house but in some ways it's the most enjoyable. Simple, yet very musical.......and yes, they crank. [Y]

I might suggest that if you just want to use the 4.2's for two channel listening and don't have a lot of bread to spend......check your craigslist for these vintage receivers to match up with them. They can usually be had for about $100-$150 range. Then maybe just use your small speakers with the Panasonic setup for movies.

Oh, and double check all your settings in the Panasonic. Could be something simple. Also, check the internal wiring inside the 4.2's maybe something wiggled loose. The 4.2's put out a considerable amount of bass.