nube tweeking my system need help!

Zappa Freak

My sound is good but I think it can improve. I watch concert DVD in 5.1 mode. my system is center RC-64, fronts RF83's, back RF82's,

Marantz ZR6001, with a rotel RB 1080 boosting the front 2 83's.60" sony rear proj. SXRD, sony PS3, Infinity BU-2 Sub, Dish VIP 211 HD.

Does my 6001 have enough power to drive this sytem properly or should I upgrade to an amp and pre-amp system?

Room size 25 x 25. any help would be greatly appreciated, I am lost when it comes to power for speakers and sound quality. I think I have a good start.

zappaDAB

You should already be using your Marantz as a pre amp and your Rotel as a separate. So changing it likely won't make much difference.

IMHO You can never have enough power. Headroom is very nice.

But power usually comes with a nice price tag.

The sensitivity of your main speakers is 100db, not bad.

Your amp outputs 95watts x 7 which should be fine for the center and surround duties.

Your RF-83s will handle 250wpc and 1000 wpc peak.

Your Rotel is pushing 200wpc so it is going to likely be discernable with an extra 50 wpc.

Your sub phasing may be out & you could be canceling the output of your mains; since your sub only has a 2 position phase switch I would suggest replacing it entirely or just the amp if you can.

First try turning you sub off and see if your mains don't come alive. Then turn the sub back on and listen. Try switching your phase 180 out. Most are somewhere in the middle though......an option you don't have.

Phase adjustment can be done with costly meters but your ear is what matters. I adjust mine by ear and feel; more feel. I put my back to the wall turn up a bass guitar track and tweak till it hits me the hardest.

The O Audio BASH Sub amp is very nice and has an adjustable phase switch and lots of EQ. http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html You would have to see if the plates would match up. Also be carefull not to overdrive your 12" not sure what it can handle.

That 100watt sub is probably not helping much anyway with the response your mains have to offer.

I use a 10" with 1000 watts behind it. It is plenty for my 13x19 room.

Many do not know how vital sub phasing is.

Also your room dimensions are not helping; a square room is a bad thing when it comes to sine waves.

Others here may have more to offer.

• 2 weeks later...