The Hurt Locker

theryugobuddy

Has anyone seen this great movie?

I saw it in the theater and just now on DVD, and its so good on many levels. Top 5 in my favorite war movies.

Jeremy Renner plays a character so casually driven, heroic, and courageous-to-a-fault that he creates a totally original and modern character. The story in Iraq occurs before there were few protocols when it came to defusing roadside bombs because they were a "new" threat, so they make it up as they go. The ways this unit of soldiers deals with the bomb and combat situations really gives the viewer an idea of what its like there.

The movie focuses on the soldier and his motivations without the Hollywood "lets get out of there!" bent.

Isn't it better to see our boys as American heroes of bravery and courage than some baby-killer-sheister-rapist-murderer?

Check this out if you haven't -- a great one.

I liked it because the plot was simply what they did (defuse bombs and IEDs) and their respective personalities, strengths, weakness, humanity. It was not "Hollywood-ized" with absurb plot elements like espionage, betrayal, etc., that are not part of that reality in Iraq.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is from a looooong time ago but, ........ just saw THL today. Great, great film. Agreed, the simplicity is a huge draw for me. I consider myself a "movie buff", and the simplicity really captured me. Renner's performance was great, gut-wrenching, but great.

Very, very fine film. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...