Cornwall III

johnhart

I am looking into getting a a pair of cornwall IIIs, and I need some help. Since I would have to part with a significant chunk of $$$$$s in these not so prosperous times, I was wondering this: what if I aquired a pair of cornwall Is and upgraded them? Could I get a similar result, sonically that is? Someone suggested that I look in the cornscala. Any feedback from this forum would be appreciated.

Regards

John

We would all love to have new. If you could get some older CW speakers and upgrade them............you would be in Heaven !

Most used are going now for 500 - 800 mark...............

Contact form member BEC for parts needed to upgrade.............Good Luck !

Could I get a similar result, sonically that is?

My general thoughts:

1. I applaude you for thinking about buying new. Sales are always good for any company.

2. Regarding above, I would speculate you could get similar sound however, on the CW III, I think they moved the woofer location relative to its location on the other two CW's so similar results but maybe not the same results (and maybe you'd never notice the difference?)

3. If you contemplate building/buying a Cornscala then I'd suggest you look into the JubeScala as well. Buy (or build?) yourself a pair of cabinets. All you really need is the bass bin. Put either a K402 (huge but sounds best) horn on top or the much smaller K510 horn. I've got a LaScala cabinet that is empty. I'm intending on buying a K510 and cutting the hole in the top of the cabinet larger to fit it. I actually, intend to mount another 3/4" motorboard to the front of the speaker and add 3/4" panels to the sides as well (to stiffen them and flush up with the face).

Later on, you could add a subwoofer to the LaScala bins and have some seriously good sound.