Cross over Freq

peplogic

Hello All, Quick question for the community. I have Klipsch Icon WC-34 for my front left and right a Klipsch Icon Wc-24 for my center a Klipsch 300d for my sub Some Polk RM8's for my rears Love the system, but I am having a problem with the crossovers freq My onkyo receiver (using the audessy auto tuner that we all love/hate) set the cross over for the speakers as follows: Front Left and right (the WC-34) @ 40 Hz The center (Wc-24) @ 50 hz and the surround at 150 Hz Now i was looking through the speaker guides, but I couldnt recommend settings, but the settings seem odd Thoughts -Brad

I would say something is going on in your room. Are you positive you are running it correctly? Is your sub set at half way up on the gain and set at either 80hz or 120hz?

Your towers should be set around 60hz-80hz

Your center should be set around 80hz. I would go with 80hz on it (THX recommendation) but would play with 80hz and up to 100hz.

Your surrounds 3 db cutoff is 130, so 150hz is fine.

I would say something is going on in your room. Are you positive you are running it correctly? Is your sub set at half way up on the gain and set at either 80hz or 120hz?

Your towers should be set around 60hz-80hz

Your center should be set around 80hz. I would go with 80hz on it (THX recommendation) but would play with 80hz and up to 100hz.

Your surrounds 3 db cutoff is 130, so 150hz is fine.

Thank you so much. Do you have t link for THX specs for all the speakers?

you should find it on the thx site i think.

you want to let your sub do the low end work, not your towers. your towers have a 3 db cutoff point which usually the xover should be set 10-30hz above that. The lower you set it, the less work you have set for your sub, which you sub should be doing.

go look at the specs on your speakers and then we can go from there.

you should find it on the thx site i think.

you want to let your sub do the low end work, not your towers. your towers have a 3 db cutoff point which usually the xover should be set 10-30hz above that. The lower you set it, the less work you have set for your sub, which you sub should be doing.

go look at the specs on your speakers and then we can go from there.

Thanks again Nerzff

For the left and right (ICON W WC-34) the factory specs for crossovers are

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 50Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
low frequency extension 41Hz
POWER HANDLING 125 W @ 8 ohms
SENSITIVITY 95.5dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2700Hz

The onyo reciveer set them at 40 Hz

the center specs are (fpr Klipsch WC-24)

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 85Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
low frequency extension 65Hz
POWER HANDLING 90W continuous / 300W peak
recommended amplifier power 100W
SENSITIVITY 94.5dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2500Hz

Onkyo set the center at 50 hz

The reciever is a klipsch 330d and the corssover is set at 80 hz

the rears are polk RM* and they are set at 150 mz

What would you chang to get them more in line?

Can u set them manually to 80 and then room EQ?

Make the center and left n right fronts all the same. TIMBRE matters.

My suggestion and why??

Just set them this way so no wasted power is needed to the speakers, and let your sub do it's job too.

You might be very happy with this set up!

Can u set them manually to 80 and then room EQ?

Make the center and left n right fronts all the same. TIMBRE matters.

My suggestion and why??

Just set them this way so no wasted power is needed to the speakers, and let your sub do it's job too.

You might be very happy with this set up!

I know i can manually set them to 80hz acorss the board, but if i run the audussy eq (room set up ) it will override my settings

Question

right now i have my sub set at 80 for hz for low freq cross over

If i set my front and centers to 80...what would you suggest i set the sub cross over to?

In a perfect world, with fantastic crosss overs, it would be set it at 80. Try this first, and live with it a while too.

Then try it at 90 or in between to see if you have a preference to that. This will allow the low notes to cross over as much as possible seamlessly from the mains to the subs. Only you can test for that, or have a preference one way or another too? You just do not want it to drop out and then boom there is the sub...LOL.. Like I feel BOSE does... It is just too overwhelming.

So much depends on what speakers are being used, the room, personal preference, and that last one is hard to judge. What I may prefer, you may not. So just use what we say as a guide too.

At the end of the day it is what YOU like, and what sounds best to you as well.