yaqin tube buffer with photos

phatchef

Well the good news is that PV&E came through with the tubes missing from the order. The bad news is that assuming that my request was being ignored (I never received any email response) I ordered a JJ 6922 and an Electro-Harmonix 6922 from Parts Express. They'll be here today.

The worse news is that in the mean time I had an immediate need to raise a chunk of $$ and did so by liquidating my Emotiva 2-channel stuff (USP-1, ERC-1, & UPA-2) and consolidating everything back to my Pioneer Elite AVR. The AVR does not have a tape or external processor loop in which to install the Yaqin.

At the moment I have the Yaqin installed between my CD player (Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi) and the AVR. I've been doing a bit of tube rolling. I have determined that the supplied "Chinese" 6922 is not too bad. I did not like the sound of the JJ at all. Way too bright. The PhilipsECC JAN 6922 is to my ears the best of the lot. I know that they ALL need a LOT more break-in time before any really subjective conclusion can be reached.

I'm coming out the other side of my little financial crisis so I'm looking at putting the 2 channel system back together soon. Before that happens though I'll be picking up a 5 channel amp. Probably an Emotiva UPA-5 so I'll be able to put the Yaqin back between a pair of pre-outs and main-ins. I really think that's where it belongs.

I guess the obvious question is how does it sound? Well... Like I said earlier I have a lot of hours of break-in to get through but my early impressions are largely positive. On most of what I listen to the Yaqin offers up a significant improvement. I'm not a "golden eared" audiophile and don't know the proper usage of all of the audiophile lingo so I'll just say that I like what comes out of my La Scalas better with the Yaqin in the chain than without it. I kind of like my son's take on it. He says the music sounds more "organic - more like people singing and less like a computer singing". I guess that pretty much sums up what the Yaqin does for digitally sourced music. It takes away a bit of the "digital edge". I think it's going to be with me for a while. :)

Yes... The JAN 6922 came from PV&E. I now have a second one just like it from Parts-Express. I put the Electro-Harmonix in last night to give it a listen. Right out of the box I like it even better than the JAN. Of course it'll need to play for a while before I can give a final judgement on it.

I already have a set of 76 Heresys running as surrounds. For a center I'm running a DIY experiment. For being pretty much cobbled together out of what was on hand the center sounds very good. So much so that I'm thinking about building 4 more of them when the day comes that I can seperate my 2-channel system from my HT system.

They sell two different Electro-Harmonix 6922s The EH and the EHG. The EHG is supposedly a better grade of tube and has gold plated pins. I got the EHG it was $24.66. Here's the link to the EHG: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-837

As for the JAN from PV&E... I'm assuming that it's NOS. It was supposed to be. The second one from Parts-Express is identical. Even the box and labeling is the same.

• 4 months later...