yaqin tube buffer with photos

phatchef

I have one in my garage system between my Carver preamp and my Adcom amp-if you have that configuration, you can temper whatever input you like-I was really impressed with the change in sound-It seemed to make it softer, more three dimensional, more soundstage and depth. It will get better with time when it burns in awhile.

That unit is also prime for some tube rolling-http://grantfidelity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90-try this link-enjoy!

Mine came this morning. I won't get to hook it up until I get home tonight.

I ordered the upgrade tubes but they forgot to include them. I emaile PV&E and they're sending the new tubes. In the mean time I'm going to have to use the stock tube.

phatchef, did you try it with the stock Chinese tube?

Jhoak- did you add it to your system yet? what do ya think?

Yea... I put it in. What do I think? Well... I think it's going back to PV&E. It introduced a lovely 60hz hum in to my system. I tried it between my preamp and amp as well as between my CD player and amp. It wasn't as bad on the CD player but still there and annoying as ~!#$%. I tried it in a number of locations thinking it might be picking up some noise from another componant with no luck.

I've been doing research on whether or not I can lift it above ground. I was looking at the Grant Fidelity buffer and they're very specific about NOT lifting the buffer above ground. Since the GF is a rebadged Yaqin I'm afraid to try it lest the "magic smoke" be released.

At the moment it sits packed in its box. If I can't come up with a good solution to the hum that doesn't require throwing more money at it it's getting shipped back to PV&E.

Oh also what did you mean by lifting it above ground

Removing the ground pin from the cord or disconnecting the ground wire from the chassis will lift a device above ground. I had to do this with my subwoofer amp (Behringer EP2500) to stop the hum. It however was well documented that this was an acceptable fix for ground loop hum.

I've yet to find any reference to anone else trying this with a Yaqin tube buffer. Like I said earlier Grant Fidelity specifically states to NOT lift their tube buffer above ground as it is designed to be grounded. Being that they're rebadged Yaquins I'm assuming the same advise goes for the Yaqin units.

I've not given up yet. I'm waiting for the other two tubes that should have come with the unit to begin with. Hopefully that will solve the problem. If not well... back it goes and I'll look at something else.