Subwoofers for each channel?

o0O Bill O0o

Given that multi-channel surround mixes for movies and music are full range for each channel and that most speakerers are un-able to reproduce the low frequencies... Why not use the pre-outs of a a/v receiver and use a subwoofers internal low pass filter AND drive all the mains with the internal amps making use of each channels low bass? Of couse a separate (bigger) subwoofer for LFE, too.

For some reason, I fee that Bass management, or the use of most receivers internal filters would not integrate well at all. Look at it this way--- run the towers or bookshelf full-range and match the crossover point of the subwoofer with the speaker. Look at each channel having a 3 or 4 way speaker, make sense?

Yes, exactly.

i.e, you had a set of 5, RF-7 speakers and subwoofers connected to each channel. and then a 6 sub to the LFE channel.

[

Ok, what if you had speakers that can play low bass? Most recording engineers are directed to send low bass to ALL channels and keep LFE specifically for Low Frequency Effects. (reference the forum sticky) Recording Engineers/ Dub-stage mixers have full-range control/ dub-stage monitors and a set of subwoofers for LFE.

BUT By using subwoofers connected to the pre outs/speaker level of each channel, you preserve the low frequencies for each channel that the speaker cannot produce, and you can better integrate the subwoofer with the speakers via the subs low/high pass filter. This is not the preferred method, I could go on about how each crossover is designed specifically for each speaker in the system and trusting Bassmanagement filters or even a subs high pass/low pass filters to integrate seamlessly seems like crap shoot.

In my findings the Studio doesn't use Bass management in establishing a disc soundtrack. However since most of us listen to playback on consumer gear, the soundtrack is validated on a bass-managed audio system to ensure that the bass translates properly to consumer gear.

I am looking for users who adopt the standards of playback that the recording studios use.

Standards are set forth in AES, SMTPE, and ITU papers referenced in the .pdf file on this thread

Hope this helps explain my question.

I was thinking about buying a subwoofer for underneath every speaker and running them full-range. Hooking them up through the high pass filter speaker connections. So, 5.1 = 6 subwoofers.