Denon DVD 5900

tom b. 57

I picked up a mint condition 5900 for $200.00 a couple of days ago and I have to say it is an improvement in sonic bliss over my beloved 2910, even though it is older technology.

This was a very well spent $200.00, I think.

Is anyone else using this old dvd player? What are your thoughts on it's musical characteristics?

Tom

I am using a Denon 5900 with my Denon 5803 av/r. This is a great combo for movies and music dvd,s but I dont like cd,s through this sysyem. It may be me because I am not very knowledgeable about these componets. I much prefer my Rega Appllo with my Vintage Sansui when listening to cd,s.

I am pretty impressed with what I hear on cds, but I must admit, I don't have a high-end cd player to put it up against.

The best disc player I own, (besides the 5900) is the Denon 2910, which is a bit newer technology than the 5900 and seems to do a good job retrieving the info. on the disc properly.

I should probably hunt down a very high-end cd player for a good price in order to make an accurate assessment.

Tom

I am using a Denon 5900 with my Denon 5803 av/r. This is a great combo for movies and music dvd,s but I dont like cd,s through this sysyem. It may be me because I am not very knowledgeable about these componets. I much prefer my Rega Appllo with my Vintage Sansui when listening to cd,s.

I am pretty impressed with what I hear on cds, but I must admit, I don't have a high-end cd player to put it up against.

The best disc player I own, (besides the 5900) is the Denon 2910, which is a bit newer technology than the 5900 and seems to do a good job retrieving the info. on the disc properly.

I should probably hunt down a very high-end cd player for a good price in order to make an accurate assessment.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I started out with 4 Adcom GCD-600's and they are not expensive cd players. IMHO they sound much better than the 5900. I have not tried the 5900 through my SS equipment, that may be the ticket. The difference may be using 2-channel equipment verses an AV/R receiver, I really dont know. I only bought the Rega Apollo to see if I was really missing something. Again IMHO I didnt really see alot of difference although it is a very nice unit !