Klipsch La Scala or something else best for my future situation?

Incase you missed my previous thread, a buddy of mine obtained a La Scala for his garage. I am quite impressed with it for that intention. The way it fills the garage up with sound with a fairly small amp is great. I don't want to start anything here, but I always have been and always will be a JBL Pro kinda guy...atleast for my HT and bedroom systems, etc. But like I said the ability of these Klipsch's with an inexpensive amp is great so I won't have my expensive amps exposed in a polebarn setting with dust and whatnot. So anyway, the scoop on the barn (when I build it) it is going to be 40x64 with 14 ft ceilings and a partition wall basically making 2 40x32 sections. Looking for some opinions on if La Scalas would be good for this or if another similar speaker would be better. Would 1 in each section suffice, or should I go with 2?

Any ideas are welcome

Eric

The first Klipsch speaker I ever heard was a La Scala. I was working at a Volkswagen dealership and this crazy guy had just one La Scala and after he had a sip of the ol' bottle come end of the day he would turn it up and the La scala would fill the whole service shop.....therefor I had to get a pair. 1 La Scala will fill your polebarn no problem.

.....but 2 will do even better!!!

Welome to foums.

If you do get Lascalas, you might be surprised just how good they sound with clean (not neccesarily super powerful) amplification. (More power does not equal better sound.......)

They are quite accurate and beautiful sounding..... Hope the garage is heated :).

(PS. My dad was a JBL and tube guy.... that is what got me started....)

Good Luck......

Well, Lascala's aren't inexpensive. Good pair is about $800-1200 first generation.

JBL pro speakers are fine and believe a welcome part of high-efficency, horn loaded history here on the Klipsch Forum.

In Fact you can get a set of 4675C with the Massive bi-radial horn for less then a new Lascala II

95752ab9-5293-4d57-8376-e12a851e6c27.jpg

Anyways, LaScalas would be great for your plan. You have just about enough room to propigate the largest wavelength/lowest frequencies of audio. It's all about your budget.

I picked up a pair of much-less-nice-looking La Scala Industrials like the ones shown above for $200 at a rummage sale. Now that's not an everyday thing, but I check craigslist from time to time and they go for $600-2000 depending on how nice they are and how much homework the owner has done. I run mine with a 18" JBL powered sub and it sounds great and could fill a huge space with clean sound.

Making them yourself sounds from forum plans like a good idea, but IMHO unless you use the original drivers and crossovers (or the modern 'copies'), you won't really have a La Scala sound or their efficiency - though it could still be very good. Certainly copying the doghouse will give better result than almost anything someone could invent on their own!

Good luck on your journey...

ps for yucks I looked on Craigslist around the country today and this is what I found in La Scala-land..

Near you..ish..Found these vintage La Scalas for (gulp) $1700! I guess this guy did a little TOO much homework.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/1596883585.html

(did La Scalas REALLY cost $1900 EACH in 1978??!)

But in San Antonio these gnarly ones are $750 (but claim to be Industrial model..)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/1598632518.html

(could use some TLC, but look ok otherwise)

and some really minty ones for $1400 in Chicago..

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/1626797556.html

and for $1600 in ATL..

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/ele/1622700451.html

Cool, thanks for the info. It'd be nice to run across a deal cuz someone doesn't know what they have, or because of WAF (or ex-WAF) that are either being sold just to get rid of them, or just to get "revenge." I'd almost feel bad "stealing" a guys La Scalas like that, but if it were me that it happened to, I wouldn't be mad at the guy who bought them, I'd be putting a for sale sign on the wife that sold them.

I didn't think of it that they wouldn't have the efficiency if I used different drivers. I figured the only difference between the La Scala and any other speaker was the doghouse...and that as long as quality drivers were used it'd be about the same. Oh well, I have the stuff lying around so I could atleast try it out...if I don't like it I could always hunt around for the correct components. But using the drivers I already have is a lot easier on the WAF cuz all I'd be buying is "plywood"