New to Klipsch- first time set up

jmb789

This is my first time dealing with a home audio system set up. What
I'm currently planning on using is 2-F3's, C3, XW-500d for sub, and not
sure about surround speakers yet. It's going to probably be either S2
or RS-42. Not sure which would go best with the other stuff mentioned.
And also not sure which receiver would be ideal for the set up. All
the specs kind of confused me and what are some features to look for in a good receiver. Any help and input will be greatly
appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

Both surround speakers you mention are very good, the RS-42 will give a much more immersive sound due to its dual woofers and tweeters. If you want your speakers to match as far as looks goes then the S2 would be the one to choose.

Brands that work well with Klipsch that many on here use are Denon, Yamaha, harman/kardon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and Marantz.

Features to consider in the receiver would really depend on what you're hooking up to it as far as HDMI devices, external amps, etc.

I currently have a 42" Vizio and a Philips upconverting DVD player. After looking back at the receivers I'm leaning towards a Yamaha RX-465BL. Is there a better one that has more features for around the same price or would worth upgrading too?

If you can get the Yamaha 465 for around $300. I would go for it. I did a lot of looking around for a inexpensive sound processor and the Yamaha really paid off for me. Plenty of power for most all Klipsch speakers, HDMI, easy set up and use, and great Yamaha sound. I am in no way an expert buy I am very happy with mine. I also use it for 2 channel listening with my Heresy's and I love the sound..

good luck

enjoy