advice for my keyboard rig

Sky Hits

Greetings!

I spend time in the two-channel forum usually, so please forgive me if this post isn't appropriate here.

As a singer and keyboardist here in Chicago I've recently made some happy changes to my rig. Specifically, I replaced my main axe, a Roland XP-60, with a Roland XV-88. This is a better board with superior sound and it's treating me great.

The XV-88 is known for sounding really great in stereo so I'm thinking of changing my rig to a stereo set-up. My current set-up is sending the keyboard mono thru a Joe Meek meekbox preamp and then into a JBL EON15. One thought is to invest in another EON15 which will be plenty of power and flexibility as well for stereo-play (with effects, etc.)

I thought I would check in here to see if anyone had any other suggestions, Klipsch or otherwise. I am only really familiar with the Klipsch Heritage line so speak slowly for me. [:D]

Best regards to all your ears,

Seth

• 4 weeks later...

you're cool Seth.

Are you looking for a nice sounding practice rig for home and small gigs? The reason I ask that in a larger stage/PA setting the soundman will probably take two Direct boxes from your rig and pan you in stereo across the entire soundfield (if PA is in stereo). Stage sound just needs to be loud enough so you can hear yourself.

But if you're looking for a nice flat sound from a pro rig, I'd recommend the Klispch KP301. Basically a Chorus I in pro clothing, it's a heavy duty 15" woofer, mid and tweeter in a cabinet that one man can handle. Good deep response, power handling galore. Would make a nice PA setup for small combo/acoustic type stage. If you'd like to hear some Klipsch pro stuff, I have most all of it here in Indy. Feel free to check in and come down some time if you'd like.

The Eon's are nice because they have built in amplification and are probably bi-amped internally. If you're just using one keyboard, it's plug and play and there's a lot to be said for that. Reasonable efficiency and flat frequency response are assured through the internal JBL processing.

Michael

Does the meekbox do stereo? Or do they have a stereo version or would you have to change the whole setup? If you went with the Klipsch you would also have to haul an amp around. As Michael says, the JBL being self powered is easier on the setup