Just purchased RF62's -- Need advice on AV Receiver

MarkS49675

Hi all,

So I'm looking for a new receiver to mesh well with my new RF-62 front speakers. I think I have narrowed it down to the following: NAD T747, Marantz SR6004, Harman Kardon AVR 2600, or the Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX. Any advice or thoughts on these units would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

There are a lot of refurbished Marantz units in retailers and online, which makes me wonder about quality. HK receivers were known to have all kinds of HDMI bugs (don't know if they have been solved yet). Don't know anything about NAD.

Generally Pioneer Elite sounds very good with Klipsch (I've got a Pioneer, which is a basically rebedged Elite) and the quality of Elite models is very good.

Thanks, Yura. In scouring various internet websites, I too have come across many posts about Marantz having problems. I don't know if they are more finicky than other brands I am considering, though. I hadn't heard anything about those HK HDMI bugs. I will research this. I will keep the Elite among those to be considered unless others weigh in with reasons why I might want not to. Thanks!

You know those receivers are probably more than you need for the RF-62s. There are quite a few receivers that will do a great job for less money.

See if your local costco has Onkyo HT-RC160. They had a great deal on these at $299.Or 607 (same as 160 plus extra HDMI and a few other inputs) for $390 from newegg.com or Amazon. Free shipping and no tax. Onkyo's run hot, so give them room for ventilation.

Or see if you want to get a Denon like mine - AVR1910. I've used it with RF-62s and now running RF-7s . 6ave.com has the open box one for less than $400 and it comes with full denon warranty.

There is a ton of options...

No, it's just that i think that many Pioneer Elite, Marantz, etc offer too many bells and whistles, when all you really need is a solid amplifier and decoder. All of the units with price starting arouhnd $300 will decode Hi-Def loss-less formats such as TrueHD/Master Audio. In most cases your TV will do a much better video up-scaling job than most receivers, so i wouldn't pay much attention to upscaling in one. You only need as many connections as you plan on having devices - so 7 HDMI inputs are not that important when all you need is 3 of them.

RF-62 (and many higher end klipsch speakers) are very efficient, so you don't need 130w per channel to get them going (especially if you plan on staying with stereo setup for a while) as full home theater may really exercise the amp.

I'm just trying to say that quite a few mid range receivers will do a great job with most Klipsch speakers, and i would rather see people spend more on speakers than on their receivers. Speaker can stay in your home for 20 years, while receiver will be lucky to stay even 10. Especially so in the digital age when technology is advancing so fast and standards change so quickly.

You can never have too much power, sort-a-speak. You can get a lower priced reciever ( with pre-outs)and amp.

I agree, you can never have too much power. I also think those higher end receivers are good for your RF-62. Some of the cheaper receivers have very bad amps that you want to stay away from. I would also stay away from pioneer. Many people do not like how they sound. I don't think they even come close to Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, etc. I have a pair of RF-62 hooked up with a Yamaha RX-V863 right now and it sounds amazing. I would definitely recommend checking out Yamaha.

First themost important thing Welcome to the forum!!!

Ok let's put this into perspective you have a speaker that is rated for 125watts RMS all the time. But you want to power it with a av unit that push 130 or 100watts in perfect conditions. I would have to say if you don't run 125 or more you will be under powering those speakers and you will never fully understand what your great speakers are capable of. Av units are measured in perfect conditions with sin waves not real world music and dynamics. Check the garage sale for the emotive upa amp that would be a great match. I underpowered my speakers for long time and I will never do that again.It is a waste of good money to by a great set of speakers and then not get the performance.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rf-62-specifications/