Article: Measuring Speaker Impedance Without a Bridge.

WMcD

Attached in an article (in a .zip file) about measuring speaker impedance without a bridge. It will require a test resistor of known (measured) value of about 8 to 16 ohms, an amplifier (such as we all have) a sine generator (there are many around for use on computers) and an a.c. volt meter.

There is a bit of math involved and thus I've set up a spreadsheet in the .zip file. People with some knowledge of spreadsheets will know how to copy the main row for the three measurements at various frequencies. And make a graph.

You will see that the article uses an equation to calculate the value of an equivalent inductor. It seems to me you can use the set-up to determine the value of an unmarked inductor. Just put that in place of the speaker. Also, you could use it to measure the value of an unmarked capacitor. I've added that equation.

I have not had an opportunity to try this. Maybe several of us can make it a project for the forum.

Wm McD

Measuring Speaker Impedance Without a Bridge.zip

Measuring Speaker Impedance Without a Bridge.zip