Need Help ASAP - Which is better - Quintet III or HD Theater 500

Joey88

Hello - I am looking to get an inexpensive sound system. Can someone please tell me which of these systems are better. i see that the quintets have been around for a longer time whereas it appears that the hd theater 500 is a newer product.

Can someone give me their view as to which is better? I'd also be interested in pros/cpns of each. I have not been able to get any direct answers in retail stores.

I see the quintets are listed for $349 on Amazon and was close to pulling the trigger (I would have to buy a subwoofer separately). The HD theater 500 is $599, so the cost in the end will be about the same. Which provides more bang for my buck?

Joey

One thing to remember... The Quintet systems DO NOT come with a sub, The HD systems do.

You will absolutely need some sort of sub with the Quintets, they provide NO low end (bass).

That said, I have 0% experience with the HD line. I have heard the Quintets w/sub at a buddy's house, sounded pretty good. He has a small room, a decent Denon receiver and a sub.

Good luck

1) I've heard the Quintets, and I liked them (doesn't help you much).

2) The quintets have bigger woofers than the HD 500's... about 30% bigger (1 inch), that's pretty significant.

3) Like you said... post on the Quins, spring-clips on the HD's

4) The Quins have a nice weight to them, the feel solid. I can't find the weight of the HD's

Again, just my $.02

Also, I think you will be able to find a better sub for your 100-200 than the 8-incher that comes with the HD500. Let me see what I can find in your area...

If I set the speaker setting to "LARGE" or "FULL" on my receiver, do uthink i could get by for a few weeks without a sub. Bear in mind that i live in an apartment in NY, and cannot crank the system anyways.

I do not think that is a good idea unless you plan on keeping the volume LOW.

Those speakers are not meant to handle lots of bass.......

Good Luck.

Are you open to buying used?

You could probably save a few hundred bucks.......

Also, be patient. I bet the price drops again.... somewhere.

Based on the info provided stating the Quintets are bigger; beefier and have binding posts..... that would be my choice.....

Good luck.