Recomendations for portable 2 channel

Audio Flynn

I will start with the Klipch S4 for headphone apreciation and a take on the road system.

I would like to get a Bit Head headphone amp.

I am open to storage/ DAC / Amp device.

i am not not Apple but could be convinced. Working 60 hours a week I have little time to research.

Hope you 2 channel brethern can make some quality suggestions.

Thanks

Rick

okay I'm a huge fan of the S4 Headphones. I have gon thru many headphones and ear buds and these are the good ones.

Beats by Dre. over the ear headphones are just about the best around and the S4 are in that same standard.

Now, get an iPod and get with the program. Lossless Audio is great! and carrying around all that junk is plain silly.

read the latest reviews of the Beats and S4 and go to the Apple store and get yourself a iPod Touch. Between the two sets of headphones you will find a great set for what you need.. don't waste your time & Money on Grado's or a ZUNE!

Sorry for the side track a little..

Bill, why did you say not to waste your time and money on Grado and Zune?

Also, you have Beats by Dre, which ones and how do you like them? I have seen some reviews and was thinking about picking a pair up. How fast do you run thru the batteries, since they only work with batteries. My current headphones are Custom 3, for in-ear, and Grado SR60.

Thanks,

James

James,

Sorry for the side track a little..

Bill, why did you say not to waste your time and money on Grado and Zune?

Also, you have Beats by Dre, which ones and how do you like them? I have seen some reviews and was thinking about picking a pair up. How fast do you run thru the batteries, since they only work with batteries. My current headphones are Custom 3, for in-ear, and Grado SR60.

Thanks,

James

1. Grado SR60 headphones are a nice, affordable set of cans. But they are bested by my recommendations, you must listen to them.

2. I am HUGE Klipsch loyalist!

3. I am and even bigger Apple loyalist, and in the portable market iTunes - iPod combo cannot be beat! it's all about INTEGRATION- everything is designed to work in harmony. The Zune cannot match this level of refinement. It's like comparing Velodyne and JL Audio to some these VERY good internet direct subwoofers. The former has unmatched refinement, but at a high price point. The latter has 90% refinement, but just not close enough- but for the price some of us consumers compromise.

To the causal lurker- it's like comcast cable and a DVR for all of your media needs, just in a 64 GB package.

4. I looked down at the beats, scoffed at there potential, until I heard them- a very well executed product -very refined. They suck down a set of AAA every 2 months or so @ ~5hrs of use a day.. just get a set of recharge-able batteries and your are set. It's like having the Headphone amp, just less clutter.. Look at this way, put headphones on, plug in to iPod and press play. no DAC, no AMP, no nonsense.. Lossess Audio is truly a great archival format.

5. The S4's are workout 'phones where the Beats are the travel/ office/ at home 'phones

You can choose what you want, but you can always demo, return and get something else. There is no fear that you are not getting the "Best" sound.

I have no digitally archived music. Only CDs and LPs.

Due to my Klipch dedication I will start with the S4 phones. I like to start small like with my old beloved KSB 3.1s 13 or so years ago and work up from there.

I am going to get a BITHEAD amp. Then I can use my laptop or PC for uncompressed music or movies.

I still did not get a read on what format / bit rate / DAC was best had in a portable device. I do not think WAV or FLAC works for a portable stereo for business travel. My research is a bit shallow of course.

Please continue to comment on IPOD, ZUNE or SANSA mp3 player as storage DAC options.

Thanks all;

Rick

Is anyone using OGG format?

Looking at these options (both use OGG as an option):

Brand SanDisk
Series Sansa Fuze
Part Number SDMX14R-008GK-A57
Type MP3 / MP4 Player
Color Black
Height 3.1"
Width 1.9"
Depth 0.3"
Weight 2.1 oz.
Storage
Memory Type Flash Memory
Memory Capacity 8GB
Expansion Slot Micro SD/SDHC

====================================

Brand COWON
Model iAudio9
Part Number I9-08BL
Type MP3 / MP4 Player
Color Black
Height 3.74"
Width 1.69"
Depth 0.35"
Weight 1.41 oz.
Storage
Memory Type Flash Memory
Memory Capacity 8GB

I did for an old cell phone, wasn't bad and since I always carried my cell phone it made it at lot easier. I'm sure the other formats are better.

How much are you looking to spend on the storage device?

James

Storage device $ 150-200 max ($ 200 would have to be really good DAC performance)

Klipsch S4 $ 90 ( I like to sttart with entry level phones so I can apreciate the upgrade path as the kids take a liking to the S4 and make off wit them) ;)

BitHead Amp $ 159 ( Then I can use a laptop for uncompressed files)

Less than $ 500 for the whole set up

I did for an old cell phone, wasn't bad and since I always carried my cell phone it made it at lot easier. I'm sure the other formats are better.

How much are you looking to spend on the storage device?

James

Storage device $ 150-200 max ($ 200 would have to be really good DAC performance)

Klipsch S4 $ 90 ( I like to sttart with entry level phones so I can apreciate the upgrade path as the kids take a liking to the S4 and make off wit them) ;)

BitHead Amp $ 159 ( Then I can use a laptop for uncompressed files)

Less than $ 500 for the whole set up

160GB iPod Classic + Klipsch S4 = $349 Beat that.

-Uncompressed over 150 CDs

-Lossless Audio (Beats all formats of compressed music)

-iTunes

-iTunes Music Store

you can always add that amp and you will still be close to $500

Storage device $ 150-200 max ($ 200 would have to be really good DAC performance

The Apple iPod Nano fit the bill, with features almost identical to the ones you mentioned. Plus they come in different colors. $139 + shipping

Klipsch S4 $ 90 ( I like to start with entry level phones so I can apreciate the upgrade path as the kids take a liking to the S4 and make off wit them) ;)

I hear you on that, plus they are getting really good reviews, Klipsch S4. $79 w/ free shipping

Then with the BitHead amp. $159

You are looking at a total of $385, so you can spend the extra money on Cd's or vinyl.

Now I don't own an apple products but a few friends do and they love them. Plus like Bill mentioned above, Apple lossless is a great way to store music.

James

Apple lossless is better than FLAC?

This is frustrating choice.

I am not so big on Apple becuase of the advertising and hype. Like NIKE and Microsoft( I am going to turn an old computer into a LINUX machine this year).

Brand COWON
Model iAudio9
Part Number I9-08BL
Type MP3 / MP4 Player
Color Black
Height 3.74"
Width 1.69"
Depth 0.35"
Weight 1.41 oz.
Storage
Memory Type Flash Memory
Memory Capacity 16GB

I may wait on the bit head amp and spend more on the music source.

I suppose I Tunes and Apple lossless is the best user interface to go with.

Still open to suggestions.

Apple lossless is better than FLAC?

I believe that Apple doesn't support FLAC and the Apple Loosless is similar. That is just a guess since I don't have any Apple products.

I am not so big on Apple becuase of the advertising and hype.

I hear you on that, I also don't own or purchase Apple products for gf or myself. When my gf wanted an mp3 player 5 years ago I purchased a Samsung and she has been happy with it since. It comes along when we fly and I even used it for work, the radio tuner was great to have. If this is how you feel then you should go with the product that you like best. That Cowon looks good and with the S4 still comes in under $250 and you have 16 gb of storage.

James

Apple Lossless is a great codec, and with a 160GB iPod classic & iTunes, should make a great little system. I've archived all my music to DVD and the iPod and its perfect. I've checked the digital output from the iPod (using the Wadia DAC) against my original masters, and they're bit-perfect. If you use TuneUp, you can ensure you have all the cover art and correct track info too! What an amazing modern age we live in. All of one's music, and the device that plays it, in the palm of your hand. Tubes? Vinyl? High end DAC? Got 'em. I'm still amazed at the little gizmos of our world.