Surger Suppressor for HT System (MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS IS A DUPLICATE THREAD)

mbr311

Right now I have a Monster 8 plug 1800 joules surge supressor for my entire system. I was wondering if that is adequate enough, or if I should upgrade to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-HDP-1800-8-Outlet-Center/dp/B001CBPWT0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269551705&sr=8-5

Just want to make sure I am protecting my investments properly. thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Mark

i am sure it's fine. i would only suggest going with www.furmansound.com for "upgrade" reasons.

i have 20pfi

15i

pst-8d

one of the best things about furman is this, they don't change the filtering between models. so the same filter the pst-8d had, the 20pfi has. i like the 20pfi because you get up to 55peak amps when you need it. normal house wiring just won't let you do that. the only way i can think it would work is, having every amp and receiver on a dedicated circuit or something over kill like that. these things will never break either. the design of all power conditioner or surge protectors is to break when there is a surge of a a certain amount, well furman has designed them to take a lick'n and keep on tick'n. if you were to spend the extra money and get any furman product, you will never be disappointed.

That's nice but holy crap that's expensive. Someone said to try out the Belkin PF60 and that's about $200 and I think I might go that route, I'm not sure I need a $1000 surge supressor for the stuff I have right now. If I had thousands of dollars in equipment I would probably think about this some more but I don't think I need something quite this nice yet. Thanks though!

Mark

Oh okay I was looking at the 20 and it was 1 grand I was like holy sh*t lol. Weird that I've seen two good articles both for the Belkin and the Furman. I guess everyone is going to have their own personal opinion and I guess in the end either one is going to be better than the Monster one I am currrently using. Just have to keep my eye on ebay, even though I just found a Yamaha RX-V665 open box at Best Buy for like $349. I almost bought it on the spot it was such a good deal ($499 new). So many things to do, such little time (and money) lol

I think he's trying to say that the Furman pst-8d is a really good conditioner. It's $100-$200.

From what I've read, I'd go with a $200 Furman before a $200 Belkin.

Belkin makes some great power conditioners. I recommended the Pure AV PF60 to him, it originally retailed at $749. when it was released but the msrp has now come down to $599 but you can find some great deals on them online.

I have the PF 60 and love it, I compared Panamax, Furman, Monster and others, I also own a Panamax but the Pure AV is much nicer.

Here's a link to a review, specs and pics (it's also available in black as well as the silver)

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1164306802&read&3&4&

The quality is excellent and so are the specs and features, it looks great and performs well. My system sounds slighty warmer connected to it and my plasma's picture is a little nicer as well.

Yea I saw this suggestion in the other thread (I should probably have this locked since its more of a technical thing and we're having two threads now how do I go about doing that so we can keep it in one thread) and I like the Belkin better just from reading what you gave me and looking at the specs.

well there's something you have to keep in mind. if you just want to filter the incoming A/C then the $200 furman floor model is your best bet. it will actually filter out more than anyone else. you can check their specs they actually tell you what they filter out. Panamax and Furman are sister company's and they share info and products. furman use to sell a PST-10D but now they just sell the 8D. you can go to panamx and look around at their floor models and you will see their 10 outlet (it's black) looks just like the 8D. i did call and ask and i was right, furman gave panamax that model.

the other brands you are talking about don't do anything except filter, so it comes down to what you are looking for. if you want a "rack" mount type of product you can get just the 15i. it looks neat and you can have it on one of your shelves. i suggested the floor model to save cash. the reason the 20pfi was $1000 is because it gives you up to 55peak amps. no other filter on the market does that. you can also get it cheaper, i bought mine new for $725.

it all comes down to what you want it to do, look like, and will it grow with your system.

The Pure AV pf 60 compares to Panamax and Furman models in the $700-$1000+ range, the pf 60 originally had an msrp of $749. The pf 60 blows away the $499 Panamax I also own. The pf 60 is much better in specs, features and performance. The pf 60 made a noticeable difference in both my systems sound and picture, my system has never performed better.

The pf 60 completely isolates and filters 6 pairs of outlets (one pair combines the front convenience outlet) giving it phase 6 filter and level 4 protection, 2 high current outlets for high-power amplifiers. Also with 7114 Joules of surge protection, one of the highest levels of surge protection I have seen. The pf 60 also offers excellent adjust-ability in remote turn ON/OFF and delay options of any of its 6 banks of outlets. It also has a very nice high quality build making it an exceptional value for the price.

Panamax actually owns Furman which they acquired in 2006 and yes there are many similarities between some Furman and Panamax models both are good brands especially their higher end. I was interested in Panamax and Furman models many times the price of the pf 60 but I am very happy I found the pf 60.

I have even considered the Furman IT-Reference 20i a $3,499 Furman model which was once offered at Amazon on sale for about $900 new.