Which rf for a small room?

00zero

i want to up grade my living room speakers

i currently have an old onkyo TX-sv525 with dbx 3x2 and a dbx sw 2x8 with power amp. It isnt a bad setup but i have a small living room in my apt (l12' x w12' x h7.25") and with furneture it makes sw placement difficult and the sound stage could be better.

I want move on to 2.0 floorstanders as system is used 80% as a HT.

Based on my space i can only get the speaker grills 20-24" from the back wall and 3-4' from the side walls.

I was looking at the RF-x2 series and had a few question.

Why is the low end on the 52 quoted lower than the 62?

Will any of these work well that close to the rear wall?

I am not concerned about aplification right now.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

-Jonathan

The reason the 52 is shown to go a bit lower is based on the fact the the 62 will play louder with the same volume.

the Frequency response shown on the spec page does not mean that a speaker cant or wont reproduce frequencies below that, it just means that the speaker wont produce the frequency's with the given information (ie 1 watt/2.83 V at 1m).

Hopefully that makes sense.

How close to the rear wall are we talking? How about the side wall? Too close to either or both will re-enforce the lower frequencies and can often wreak havoc on Higher frequencies due to reflections of the sound waves.

ok, that makes sense, i think. So the 62 is slightly less sensitive at low freq?

rf-82 3.5" to 7.5" from the rear wall

rf-62 4.5" to 8.5"

fr -52 5.75" to 9.75"

The side walls

left speaker about 3' and the right about 4' (door in the way, i have doors in opposit corrners so no symetrical walls :()

-Jonathan

I have a very small listening area. Only about ten feet stand between my speakers and I. 250 watt/channel amp plus good sub. I thought the RF-7's would be way to much. I had to have them though. I started out with the RB-61 and the upgrade is simply incredible. I still get goosebumps when I really drive them. 12' x 12' is more than enough room for large RF series. I suggest you go with as large as you can afford. You will make room! Enjoy!!!

system.jpg picture by mattao1970

Well my issue with bookshelfs is by the time i get new stands (i have bar stools now) i could have gotten a floorstander.

Unless the bookshelves would be that much better suited to my room.

The main issue i have is that i can only get the speakers about 5.5' appart (asymetrical in the room too). With the doors in the room i can't get get them much farther appar.

For placement form the rear wall i am now able to get the front of the speaker ~25' from the wall. (i rearranged the room)

Rf-82 would have 8-9" from the rear wall

Rf-62 would have 9-10"

Rf-52 would have 10-11"

All i am trying to find is what can work best in my small room with my unusual space restrictions.

All of the input is appreciated.

-Jonathan