Surround speaker?

JJ440

Hi everybody,

Thanks to this forum I bought a pair of RF-62's and have been enjoying them for the last couple of months. I didn't go for the 82's because I thought they would be a bit overkill and fortunately I was right. (small app.)

I'm planning on setting up a 5.1 HT, in steps, so my eyes and ears are always open. Regarding the surrounds, I was planning on getting the RS-52's, but today I stumbled upon a used set of RF-15's which I believe are the predecessors of the RF-52's? They're going to cost me 200 dollars (€150), which is not a lot. I haven't seen a cheap set of RS's ever, new ones are gonna set me back 800 dollars (€600).

Should I get the RF-15's or is it a bad idear. What's the general opinion on using fronts as surrounds? I have even read that somebody preferred the RB-81 over the RF52.

The speakermodel was produced between 2003-2006, so they should have some life left in them.

Please let me know what your take is on this? Don't know what to do [^o)]

Surrounds are much less critical than front mains.

I have thrice moved my mains into duty as surrounds as upgrades occurred.

4-7 year old Klipsh speakers (that were not abused) will sound like new. I would have zero reservations about buying used (and have done so on KLF-C7's and been very happy).

I would say that it depensds on what you like to listen to the most. If you are more into movies, you really might want to consider the RS line of speakers, or if you are more of a music guy a second set of towers might be the way to go. I had matching front and rear RF-82's and worked great for both movies and music cranked up. When I ran the front 82's with RS-52 rears I just didn't care for they way it sounded with musi c. I am though more of a music first then movies guy...

~ ross

I've had four different pairs of surround speakers to go with my Forte fronts. The first two pairs were 'surround-sound' speakers (SS.5, RS-42) and the next two were floorstanding (KG 3.5 and current Fortes). I prefer the fuller sound of the floorstanding speakers personally.