Trying to upload a picture of my setup

sseymour

C&S-

I'll assume from the picture that we are to assign a name to the *new* mystery babe. Looking at the photo I'm thinking she's early 20's and the photo is late 1920's which means that there is a 95 % chance that that 99% of the women with her birthday are dearly departed. Is that a clue?

This message has been edited by John Warren on 03-22-2002 at 06:09 PM

Hey guys,

I still need an exact step by step description of the process. You have all been doing it so well for so long you have forgotten how to explain it in absolutely idiot proof steps.

What I need is a numbered, step by step list, that I can print out and pin up in front of me and then do a step at a time, without encountering several ambiguous possibilities at each step, in other words, you are telling a monkey how to wire up an eico amp. consider it a challenge of translating technical gobbledigook into layman's terms.

justin's explanation was full of ambiguities when a newbie tries it. I need absolutely accurate first hand one step at a time description of the process, but you need to watch exactly what you do when you do this the first time and then convey that process without any assumptions whatsoever about my having web posting knowledge. Please address exactly what I will be seeing on my screen at each point. I do not know the procedure for finding that address, nor do I understand where you paste it. I am assuming this forum is set up the same on "Internet Explorer" for the Mac, since that is what I am using. All previous attempts at explaining this procedure are somehow not on the same page as my experience here when I go to try it.

fini, mdeneen, do you know how to do this?

By the way, part of my point is that there should be this very procedural list posted somwhere on this forum for any other newbies to use successfully.

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-23-2002 at 02:32 AM

Hey guys,

I still need an exact step by step description of the process. You have all been doing it so well for so long you have forgotten how to explain it in absolutely idiot proof steps.

justin's explanation was full of ambiguities when a newbie tries it. I need absolutely accurate first hand one step at a time description of the process, but you need to watch exactly what you do when you do this the first time and then convey that process without any assumptions whatsoever about my having web posting knowledge. I do not know the procedure for finding that address, nor do I understand where you paste it. I am assuming this forum is set up the same on "Internet Explorer" for the Mac, since that is what I am using. All previous attempts at explaining this procedure are somehow not on the same page as my experience here when I go to try it.

fini, mdeneen, do you know how to do this?

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Clopped & Thorn, like this flawed example of "Clipped & Shorn"... you are just a couple of symbolic constructs from perfection as the Klipsch website programmers see it. Remember we are playing on their ground.cwm24.gif

So, here goes the C&S "Display Their Way" primer:

The first step is to prepare a photo that is less than 200k in size. This is the size AFTER the photo has been saved, preferably in the jpg (JPEG) format. I prefer to use the "SAVE FOR WEB..." format in PhotoShop. I have found that photos that are 197kb (which is under the 200kb limit sometimes fail to get by the Klipsch screening algorithm)... so I arbitrarily use a figure of about 195kb as a limit instead.

A Kodak test photo was reduced from 998kb in its display version in PhotoShop and reduced with the "Save For Web..." option in PhotoShop at 85 on the quality scale resulting in a 182.2kb file to upload to the Klipsch server. I have uploaded that file which is named "PhotoPrimer" and a "Pointer" 1016886340.txt automatically generated into the box marked "Attachment:" in the electronic Klipsch form on which this post was made. After reading this post through, you may want to click on the edit on the bottom of the page to see the pointer... etc. You may find a higher resolution web example of this photo at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ES10/ES10MUSL.HTM Just click on the underlined text and an additional window will open with the higher resolution photo displayed. This was done so your artist's eye can compare the quality of the same photo at different resolutions.

The server is the Klipsch filing cabinet that holds all the Klipsch info about me and thee... and has a "virtual bin" where photos can be stored for Clipped and Shorn. The address for the photo you successfully posted above is composed of several parts...

The web address of the server with the cyberspeak to point to the Forum Member "file cabinet"...

h ttp://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/

The cyberspeak to find your "drawer"... Clipped+and+Shorn/

And the name of the photo to be retrieved... Picture1.jpg

So, the full web address for your photo is the URL http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/Clipped+and+Shorn/Picture1.jpg <<<if you click on the underlined address your photo will also be displayed) and that address is assigned automatically when you successfully upload a photo. Another "pointer" is created and displayed at the top of the display in each Post, such as the one above where you successully uploaded the photo...

Your UserName: {white box with: Clipped and Shorn}

Your Password: {white box with: ********}

Attachment: {white box with: 1016783040.txt} Upload your files View/Delete your files

The number that was automatically inserted in your "Attachment:" white box (1016783040.txt) is a posting form pointer that creates the little camera icon and displays the photo pointed to by the number (in this case: Picture1.jpg)

Thus, once you have uploaded your photo to one of the six alloted slots, TWO pointers are created...

ONE is a web address (which if the address is imbedded correctly in the text will display your currently stored photo in the body of the post). Imbedding your photo in the body of the text is similar to displaying one of the Smilies to the left of the text such as

cwm20.gif. When you click on a desired Smiley, a line of code is put at the bottom of your text box. It consists of a cyber code to alert the program that it has to fetch an image, the text that tells it where and which image to fetch, and a cyber code to signal the end of the fetch instruction. So, if we put the fetch instruction for your photo http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/Clipped+and+Shorn/Picture1.jpg between and we get:

Picture1.jpg

Voila! Now this photo will appear in the body of the text of a subsequent post, providing you haven't deleted the original on the Klipsch server, of any subsequent post in which you imbed the above code.

TWO; the second pointer is the one that was automatically generated and put in your Attachment: white box... 1016783040.txt Once you know that number, you can type or paste it into the Attachment: box of a subsequent post and, providing you haven't deleted the original picture, the photo will be available in the little camera icon format.Now this photo will appear by using the "Little Camera Icon" format in a subsequent post, providing you haven't deleted the original on the Klipsch server.

cwm40.gif NOTICE: Once you have successfully uploaded a photo file it does not have to be uploaded again to be displayed in a subsequent post. All you need is the text of a pointer.

To find Pointer ONE, click on the little camera that is generated in the finished post and at the top of the form in the Address box will be the address starting with "http:"... All you need do is copy that address and paste it between AND .

Simmilarly, to find Pointer TWO, just look in the Attachment: box of the post in which you uploaded the photo and there will be the Pointer number with a .txt designation. Copy that and paste it in the Attachment: box of another post and the little camera will appear inthat post.

Clipped and Shorn, this illustration assumes that you can successsfully replicate what you did in your above successul attempt. If the asumption is in error, I will address another post to that issue. Providing this has been of any help. Learning new material is accomplished by building on old learning... whether it was correct learning or not. If you want to reach me by email, use eddennis@msn.com and we can continue out of Eyes.gif lurker view.

Fear not! I will continue in a subsequent post. Hmmm, or maybe that is a reason to fear!cwm27.gif -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-23-2002 at 09:12 AM

So, Clipped and Shorn, as you bounce up and down telling me to make an exact list instead of a group of conceptual clues... here we grow again!

PhotoPrimer.jpg

Notice that the photo that I uploaded in the above post has now been brought into this subsequent post using the address (URL) found by clicking on the little camera in the above post... and inserting it between the code symbol and .

Trying to type a word for word procedure to cover all the variables you will encounter is likely to be even more confusing than what seems to be confusing you now. But, if you will wipe out the preconceived notions of what you think should happen and grasp the concept from the "computer's point of view" (the trick is the beast is really not human... only human influenced... but not enough!). Your "Bamboozled and Epiphany-ed" leap shall be successful.

You apparently successfully uploaded one photo by

1. Click on which brought up the ATTACHMENT FILE MANAGER window.

2. Click on Browse... and the Choose File window appears showing the contents of YOUR computer.

3. Double click on a photo file you have prepared in your computer that is a .jpg file of less than 200kb. That will cause a pathway to your file that will be automatically inserted in the white box to the left of the Browse... button.

4. Click on the Upload Now! button. If the upload was successful, it will say so... and a ##########.txt pointer will be inserted in the white box across from Attachment: on your Klipsch posting form.

5. Close the ATTACHMENT FILE MANAGER window.

6. Click on the Submit Reply button.

7. View your post and click on the "Little Camera" icon to view your uploaded photo.

8. Highlight the URL address portion in the white box at the top of the photo. Use your computer's Copy function to copy the address.

9. Close the window with the photo in it.

10. Click on the edit function on the bottom of the post in which you uploaded the photo.

11. Go to the location in the text box and type then paste the address you copied from the photo window and type ...this alerts the Klipsch computer/server to find your photo and display it where you type the code (i.e., in the body of your post).

12. Go to the Attachment: box and delete the ##########.txt that was inserted. This will remove the "Little Camera" icon from the page. You don't need it because step 11. put the photo in the body of the text.

So, C&S, there is the Q&D (Quick and Dirty) HornEd approach to creating a 12 Step Program for reformed artists who want to "photofy" their posts. I trust by the 12th step that you know where you are... if not, I can find a 13th step... and lose the hazardous cyber-substance imagery.

If these two posts have helped, let me know and I will try a 12 (or more) step program to deleting current images to make room for new images to upload. -HornEd

Okay, C&S, for the first time in 50 years, there is a riot in the street outside my house. Apparently two rival factions have found that intoxicated ramblings and knocking each other senseless in the rain is an appropriate "Rite of Spring."

So, it's time to suck up the next phase. Let's get on with view/delete "Half 12 Step Q&S Program."

1. Open a Klipsch Post form as usual.

2. Click on the View/Delete files option. The UBB Attachment File Manager will pop up.

3. Click on the View Files button and the window will morph into a listing of all the current photos you have stored.

4. Click in the white box adjacent to the photo(s) you want to delete.

5. Click on the Delete Files button. That will cause the files to be deleted to disappear from the list of available photos.

6. If you want to delete another photo, go to step 4 and proceed. If your deletion frenzy is over, click on the Close button.

Note that I have reserved six steps for appropriate insertion into the process should the first six steps prove inadequate.

Cheers and happy pix posting... until mdeneen's "NorCal HornNuts" gather for the revels to salute your new skill set.

Wavey.gifWavey.gifWavey.gifRolleyes.gif -HornEd

Something must be typed into this box before "Uploading your files" and "Submit reply", otherwise you get a message that you have not filled in the necessary whatevers, eg. it deletes your password. btw, are we supposed to actually remember our password?

THANKS ED, YOUR EXPLANATION DID THE TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we could take your explanation and make a crystal clear step by step sheet of instructions for any photo posting newbie or pistol packin' mama.

And yes I will want to hear about deleting current images to make room for new images to upload in the next installment.

Woofer.jpg

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-23-2002 at 05:13 PM

btw. HornEd, I tried to email you but all attempts at the addresses available to me have failed, both the return address on your email and the one listed in your profile. Not sure what is going on there.

-signed and sealed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-23-2002 at 04:30 PM