polarity/phase reversed on new ( for me ) Klipschorns

Hi,

I am the proud new owner of some 81' Klipschorns, and while moving them in and out of the corners I noticed that the positive and negative connections on the squawker were switched. I checked the other one and it was too. There appears to be a slight twist in the wire at the connection.

Is this something that could have been done at the factory, for a specific reason, or did the previous owner have them hooked up wrong. I have reversed the connections back to normal, but have not had the time to critically listen to the differences.

Any insight?

Thanks,

It's possible they left Hope, AR that way, but more likely were switched later. I'd make certain that all connections are clean, tight and the same in both networks.

As to the polarity of the squawkers, be certain they're the same in both networks, and then listen with them "reversed" (like you found them) and as youve changed them. If you can't notice a difference, I'd leave them the way you changed them, not "reversed."

In any event, I'd suggest speaking with Bob Crites (BEC on this forum) about refreshing the capacitors in those decades old balancing networks.

If you have first order crossovers (6db) on the mid, they are usually left the same. A second order (12db slope) has a 180degree phase shift, which means the mid would have the polarity reversed. The first order shifts 90 degrees, so you are stuck in between. Some like it reversed and some don't.