Chorus II acoustic compatibility?

Will_W

Also, if I can't find an Academy for center, was in my next best choice?

I'd think that a Heresy or Forte would do well for a center. I'd mount them vertically, not horizontally, however.

I use a Heresy I between my Jubs and it blends very well. Just remember, though, that the Heresy doesn't go very low, especially if it isn't within about 6" of being on the floor. I'd think about crossing an elevated Heresy (i.e., mounted off the floor) over at about 150 Hz to the sub (assuming the sub goes that high).

Chris

Would KG 5.5's be a decent match to Chorus II's in an HT set-up?

I haven't heard KG 5.5s, believe it or not, but I'd say that they would do well as surrounds (set to large on your HT processor).

Most soundtracks use the surrounds in "echo mode" (my terminology) so I don't think that you'll have any real problems with using these (but anyone that has heard Choruses and KG 5.5s should chime in if they've got an opinion).

The only time that you'll hear a mismatch from your surrounds is when you use an "all channel" 5.1 audio disk that uses the surround as if they are front channels. I have several Gordon Goodwin disks like this. That's why I use CW surrounds instead of smaller less obtrusive surrounds that are mounted on the wall. Some people like surrounds that spread the sound out into the room more. Personal perferences here. If you have a lot of people in the room for HT, then you might think about using Klipsch RS-xx speakers.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

i use dual heresy's between my chorus, mounted vertically, about 8" off the floor. IMHO they sound awsome, I know there are others that say you shouldn't do it, but I think it is great. It blows the Acadamy I had out of the water, clear crisp seamless from left to right. But as I said before just my opinion. If you like the way it sounds that is what is important.

Good Luck

~ ross

I have both Chorus IIs and KG 5.5s and I do not find that they would go well together unless that's all you can get...KGs are Klipsch 2 way speakers that are closer to the so called Heritage and extended Heritage than the others BUT they sound different than those 3 way Heritage and extended Heritage models...

The "II" in the Chorus name brought TracTrix to the mix so I would stick with more Chorus IIs, Forte' IIs or Quartets (they never made a Quartet II)...as for a Center channel...the speakers with Tractrix would be best...or Heritage next...I think if you cannot locate an Academy, try the KLF C-7...I have owned both of these and cannot tell enough of a difference if you can find one or the other...BUT...best would be a matching Chorus II for Center (somewhat impractical)...

...as for those KG 5.5s...great speaker...to me, they are missing a bit with the mid missing BUT they are great for Home Theater too and you could use the KLF-C7 or the Academy here as well...just not the best match...I am using my KG 5.5s as HT speakers in a smaller setting and plan to add my KLF C7 sometime...

Good Luck...

Bill

• 5 months later...

OK...it's been a while and I have been busy. My current config is as follows: Center: Academy, Fronts: Chorus II's, Surrounds and Rear Surrounds: Heresy's, Sub: Velodyne CHT - 10. Everything is being driven by an Onkyo TX-SR875. Heresy's are all elevated (@ 7 feet). For other than aesthetic reasons (closing the klipsch loop), is there an argument for changing out the sub?

To be honest, I don't have everything connected yet, so still am listening to kg5.5's as current surrounds (also @ 7 feet that was a neat trick!) so I don't know what the bass loss will be when I get them changed out with the heresy's, though I doubt it will be discernible. Any other thoughts, concerns, suggestions?

Thanks, as always!

-Will