Is it normal for the 2.1's to be @ 130 degrees

lerhodes

The ProMedia 2.1 THX®-Certified speakers sub and power supply (in the rear of the unit) is running at 130 degrees... Is this normal? Everything appears to be working properly...

LR

ASUS P4T-E w/1005 bios

P4 2.0 Willamette (478) @ 2200 (20X110)

1 (gig) RAMBUS PC800, 4 X 256 Meg Samsung original

Cooler Master ATC-110-SX1 w/ drive front cover

PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 350ATX 350 watts

SWIftech MCX478 cooler w/ Thermaltake 80mm 37 CFM (30 DBA)

CPU @ 50C full load, 33C/91F normal

Motherboard @ 26C/78F with ambient room temp 74-76F

2 X Panaflo 80mm 32.0 CFM (28 DBA) front intake, 1 X Panaflo 80mm 39.6 CFM (32 DBA) in power supply, 1 X Panaflo 80mm 32.0 CFM (28DBA) rear exhaust, 1 X 80mm Papst top blow hole 27CFM (22DBA)

Elsa Gladiac 920 GeForce3 64 MB DDR with D3 23.12 (210 & 500) running 4X

3DMark2001Pro 7462

WIN XP Pro 2002 SP-1 (?) installed w/native Intel .inf

1 x Western Digital (1000BB SE) 7200 rpm w/8 Meg buffer

HP 4400c Scanner USB

Hitachi 12X40 DVD/ROM

Mitsumi 24X12X40 CDRW w/ Nero 5.572

WinDVD 2.3

Office XP SP-1

3Com 3C905B-TX NIC

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/4142c driver

Klipsch THX speakers 2.1

External Cable Modem (Motorola SB4100)

External 3Com 5686 Modem for dial up connection

Netgear RT314 Router

Netgear DS309 Hub

NEC FE950 19 inch

Microsoft Internet Pro Keyboard w/USB

Microsoft Optical USB mouse

APC Back-UPS Pro (usb)

you should probably post this in the ProMedia 2.1 forum... but what do you mean it is at 130 degrees? the knobs? not quite understanding.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

what is 130 degrees? on the back of the sub? there is not heatsink on promedia sub's... is it a knob? totally lost here.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

How do you like Windows XP?

What are the difference between Home and Professional?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

WinXP Pro and WinXP Home... Home is great, but i like the extra network capabilities and the extra security that you get with WinXP Pro, and with the Corp. edition, there is not registration bru haha, just install and your done. i like it sooo much more than WinME, 95 and 98 even. faster, much much more reliable, more powerful, and easier to use.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin: I am intregued by the Corporate Edition, please, tell me more...

Thanks!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

On the back of the unit (where all the wires connect, the on/off switch, and the fuse is located) is reaching about 130 degrees... It appears to me to be where the amp and power supply are... I have an IR temp gun providing me with this reading... I just wondered if this temp was normal...

LR

BTW, XP ROCKS...

Although I do not have the Pro Media, I have a question about the IR temperature reader. Where can I get one, how much, the other details.

Thanks!

As a guess, it is probably normal for the Pro Media to get that hot. As that is more of a warranty/safety question, I would get on the phone to Klipsch.

------------------

130 degrees sounds warmish to me but the Klipsch speakers/amp are well known for running fairly hot. Is the sub unit located where there is some opportunity for a reasonable air flow?

Have you tried to ensure that the sub unit has at least several inches of space between it and adjacent walls etc?

You note that other than the temperature issue the unit is working well so my suggestion is that you contact Klipsch and enquire as to the expected operating temperatures. If your amp is running at temps that are well in excess of recommended limits there may be a problem but on the other hand if your amp is within or reasonably close to the recommended maximum operating temperature you are probably as well off to live with the thing as is.

Bear in mind also that the amp will run hotter if it is run at consistently higher levels. In other words if you frequently play audio CD's through it at high volume it is bound to run hotter than the same amp which is used to basically provide sound for a computer with only occasional use for playing CD's.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

ok, i understand now. haha, i thought you had something turned at a 130 degree angle.... sorry.

i would test that IR temp gauge on something that you know the temp of, like your mouth haha, it should be ofcourse ~98.6*F, so if it says that your mouth is like 114, you can rule out the promedia's as being too hot, but if it reads like 80-98, i would definately contact Klipsch over thephones, with the info below, to find out if that is ok. when the 4.1's first came out a few ran to hot and were replaced, but there were hot without being used. if you play your music for a long time, or play music for just about any time and have it at a high volume, you WILL have a hot sub. some ppl got little box fans and put them behind the sub just in case.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

kenrat, you are just full of questions aren't you? Smile.gif

WinXP Pro Corp, my dad's company installed gave it to us to install on our computers since they are all connected to their network, all legal because they buy like 3000 licenses Smile.gif don't know but you may have to own a company or something to do this, not so sure.

IR temp gauge. you can find these are some hardware stores, and at Fry's and i think i have seen them at Radio Shack. they measure the time it takes for the light to bounce back from an object, giving you the temp, something like that. some have a laser on them so you can see exactly were it is pointed. home inspecters use them to test the coldness and hottness of the central a/c in the house.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Thanks for all the feedback... The IR gun is very accurate and has been tested... It is used to measure track temps for NASCAR and NHRA racing... I used to be associated with these guys, in an odd way... The sub is more than a foot from any wall but is under the computer table... The temp, now @127F, is at idle, 72F ambient... I haven't tried it under an load... Everything is working bueatifully other than the heat that is being ommitted... This you can actually feel the heat radianting from under the table...

LR

After 10 minute at full load and my wife throwing a fit the back unit has risen only 2 degree's... This heat is coming from the upper portion of the back metal plate and is very hot to the touch... Any body out there have the 2.1's whom can see if there unit is hot to the touch? Be careful as it is very hot...

LR

I have the 2.1's and as requested I checked the sub unit and it is not even warm at this point. It would be worth contacting Klipsch to get their advice.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

yeah, i would contact klipsch, Amy, about this. The info is fond in my signature... how long have you had these, if you have not yet said...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

kenrat, you are just full of questions aren't you?

Yes I am, hence the fact this is a forum!!! Thanks!

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

Yes I am, hence the fact this is a forum!!! Thanks!

i was not trying to be mean... you understand i was just joking right?cwm6.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin, last night when I wrote that reply, I tried to write it about ten different ways while trying to make it sound NOT MEAN. Well, yes, I knew you were joking Smile.gif.

Hmmmmmm? Windows XP without the serial number? Very appealing...

------------------