La Scala Rebuild

sootshe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to post some follow up impressions since making the thicker wall mods. My previous report was....well, a little underwhelming. I've now had a chance to listen to a great deal of different material over a prolonged period & I have to say that this mod is right up there with all of the other accepted mods to the LS. Those who have done these they will understand when I say that this offers a degree of improvement equal to, if not more than, these other mods. The ALK uni's & Trachorn take the LS to another level, the Crites woofers & tweeters offer a significant improvement & the removal of the resonances in the bass bin lets all of these things perform to their best.

I already had the bass bin braces from day one on these cabinets, but let me tell you that this does not get rid of the resonances. The thicker side walls & rear has brought the performance of these speakers to a whole new level....and it hasn't just improved the bottom end....the whole frequency range is now cleaner, clearer & a heap more solid. I've heard some pretty top end systems, but I believe this is just about as good as it gets (I'm talking about speakers you can actually fit in your room...LOL). I would urge anyone doing a rebuild on a pair of LS to make this the first thing you do....you won't regret it.....you haven't really heard a pair of La Scalas until you've heard them like this!!! So, after nearly 12 months I'm finally finished. I'd like to thank everyone who helped with this project. To Bob Crites for his wonderful cast woofers & tweeters, to Al K for his Trachorns & unis & to Greg Roberts for his cabinet inspirations....and to everyone on this forum who posted with ideas & suggestions that gave me some great ideas & made these speakers come to life. [:D]

John