Uverse Motorola to Onkyo tx-nr801?

kzr750r1

Just recently started really setting up the surrounds on this receiver. I have changed the Motorola to send "surround" as I see it through the optical port to the receiver.

All is usually good until someone "wife" starts flipping from station to station. It seems the signal settings aren't compatible and requires a restart to establish the proper signal.

I know this is an old receiver and an HDMI option would probably solve this. I'd like to keep this unit in service for a bit longer.

There is not much for option son the DVR/Set top box. I'm pretty sure it's how the receiver is processing it (or not).

Are there any base line settings (Onkyo) I have to place for this to be stable through the receiver?

We have zero issues with the PS3 seemingly regardless of the signal options placed.

Any guidance would be appreciated. The Onkyo manual is not that intuitive.

Posting this here as you guys seem to get your hands on all kinds of HW and thus issues. ;)

Well after some more reading on the Uverse forum this looks to be a issues from their side... I'm not the only one with issues passing audio through the optical connection for a 5.1 format let alone the HDMI sounds to only pass 2.0....

The work around suggested is optical bypass of the HDMI is still not viable as they seem to admit there is a FW upgrade pending in August.

Once I placed the RCA on it there has been no drops when changing channels but the volume differences are significant between the HD and regular programs.

The PC3 it's even louder looks happy connecting via digital.

• 2 weeks later...

...an interesting read for me...I have AT&T U-Verse...mine is the Sisco box and I am having where the 5.1 Digital Audio sound goes out...I have had a tec out twice with no relief...first time they replaced the box...I lost all the saved movies and 45 minutes after the Tec left...no Digital Audio...mine is set up with HDMI...after being told my HDMI is bad (BlueJeansCable) they gave me one of theirs...a couple hours later...no sound...Analog Stereo works just fine...

Next Tec came in and hooked up Componant video cables and the picture was fine (but I wasn't having any issues with picture) and hooked up new red and white sound connections...works fine but I said...that's analog...why am I paying for digital to have analog sound...Tec was gonna drop off an optical connector but he must have forgotten...I ordered one from BlueJeansCable and it comes today or tomorrow...now I read this...AT&T is going to love my phone call later...thanks for this and I'll do a search on their own Forum...

Bill

There are a couple of long threads about the issue on the Uverse forum... It goes back to pretty much the beginning of their roll out 2008 or so. Since I had not messed with anything but a 2.1 setup we would just reset the amp and it would come back.

So now I have the optical as the primary and the analog hookups present it will shift from analog to digital in the middle of a show. It happens the most on the HD channels. Most of the regular channels are also DD challenged.

Other than this I'm happy with the service and DVR features. Just a bummer to record a concert to have it switch between analog and digital through out the show. BTW this is one of the things to show your tech next time... Get something recorded using the surround settings active on the DVR and let him hear and see this in person. The 311 show on HDnet did to me this weekend. Sad because in DD it sounded rich and full. Once it shifted to analog a blanket was thrown over the sounds. Not to mention the volume difference.

...an interesting read for me...I have AT&T U-Verse...mine is the Sisco box and I am having where the 5.1 Digital Audio sound goes out...I have had a tec out twice with no relief...first time they replaced the box...I lost all the saved movies and 45 minutes after the Tec left...no Digital Audio...mine is set up with HDMI...after being told my HDMI is bad (BlueJeansCable) they gave me one of theirs...a couple hours later...no sound...Analog Stereo works just fine...

Next Tec came in and hooked up Componant video cables and the picture was fine (but I wasn't having any issues with picture) and hooked up new red and white sound connections...works fine but I said...that's analog...why am I paying for digital to have analog sound...Tec was gonna drop off an optical connector but he must have forgotten...I ordered one from BlueJeansCable and it comes today or tomorrow...now I read this...AT&T is going to love my phone call later...thanks for this and I'll do a search on their own Forum...

Bill

I had the same issue, was told by an installer to use an optical cable for audio, which fixed the problem permanently for me. No audio problems since and I couldn't be happier with Uverse since they have also started adding more features with their DVR boxes.

superledge88... that is great news since it has worked very well for over a year and just started doingthis...BlueJeansCables delivered my optical today so hopefully this will be the fix...

Bill

Yeah, I hope it works for you! The audio glitching on Uverse boxes through HDMI has been a known issue for a long time now, I am surprised no one at ATT told you about this. When the installer came out to trouble shoot my audio glitching it was the first fix he recommended and said he had seen the problem a lot.

the tech mentioned it to me but said the problem was usually picture and not sound...well it didn't work for me as I am an idiot and didn't realize I only have optical out and not in...SO...I went back to HDMI and after setting and resetting the Digital Audio for 5.1 a few times...it worked all last night without a glitch...by the way...my call to AT&T got me higher up the line and I was told someone was assigned to my case and they didn't know why I wasn't as yet called...guess what...no call again last night...I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face...I like U-verse and when the sound works (digital) I am happy...to be honest, this problem just occurred in the last month (and I have had U-verse for about 2 years)...we'll see if it was a passing problemor as I suspect...will be a recurring one...I had read there might be a solution in the mix for August but we all know what that kind of promise is...

Thanks,

Bill

I'm still having issues with it locking in on digital. When it is there is a -27dB compensation. No HDMI options on my gear, was purchased just before HDMI became commonplace, used the optical from day one. What is interesting is the nr801 may be less likely to switch back and forth once it's hot. So it may be time for an upgrade on my side. Still trying to avoid this at present.

Meanwhile playing the movies/music/games through the setup its DD and has the proper signal compensation around -4dB. So the gear is able to make the change just seems dependent on the source. Going to mess with it today and get it warmed up with a couple of CD and swap back and forth between the PS3 and the DVR... See how well it works...

Going to file a TT today to keep the heat on. :)