Front / Down / Sealed

badbob

Ported/Sealed

Ported subs have greater output in general..

Sealed subs have lesser output and cleaner bass(no port(s),no port(s) noises).

Well designed ported subs can sound very clean,its a matter of design.If I had to take one I take a great sealed sub like the Krell MRS Smile.gif

Down firing/Front firing

Does not matter much,when the output is below 80Hz or often below 50Hz front or down firing are both good.

Down firing will provide some extra floor shake,not much more.

Either one is good,as long as the sub is well designed.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

One additional factor with downward firing - if the woofer is close to the floor, any high-frequency distortions present will be somewhat reduced compared to the same woofer firing straight into the listening room. That is, if the woofer is reproducing a, say, 50 cycle tone, and it has some 2nd &3rd harmonics present, firing the woofer straight down into the floor will reduce the 100Hz and 150Hz harmonics (RELATIVE to the primary tone) due to the increasing directivity with frequency. Not a heck of a lot, mind you, but somewhat.

VMPS has used this technique for a long time with their mass-loaded passive radiators in a "slot loaded" configuration. REL also does the same thing in all their models 'cept the little cubie things.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

This is just an opinion but I feel that front firing subs you can feel more, like they punch you in the chest more. Were as a down firing shakes things more, like your couch. I down firing one will also be heard over a larger area than a front firing one. So this is what you do. I have a down firing sub, my roomate has a front firing one that we set on top of mine. Then you get the best of both worlds and have people stop by and tell you that your system sounds and feels great. Buy both! Smile.gif